Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Finland, why are these variants more desirable? or are they

did sako build them any time, why are they more sought after? or are they better?
    I have seen some pretty fair shooting done with simple Russian nagants, and i have a sniper vestion (1939) and it is a tack driver at 600 yards (do not like the scope due to it not being a micrometer type adj but a linear adj), hard to tell where you are and where you need to be on first round out of tube. But 6 X's in a row at 600 yards ain't bad for a 70+ year old rifle!

I have been considering starting a search for a good finnish version, any advice from the knowledgeable ones out there is appreciated

Yes Sako did build Mosins as well as other companies. The Fins just plain made better rifles then the Russians. They didn't make anywhere near as many and a lot of their rifles were Russian captured ones that they updated with new barrels and stocks or what ever was needed.

It depends on what the definition of "build" is. I don't know that the Finns ever actually made a Mosin receiver from scratch, though I could be wrong and know I'll be corrected if I am. Most, but not all Finnish Mosins (and every single one I've seen) are rebuilds on Russian/Soviet actions. They are more desirable than non Finnish pre WWII rifles for two reasons: They are generally more consistently accurate and there are a lot fewer of them. Sort of like Albanian SKS 45s, at least as far as rarity goes.
    Last edited by Art; 11-29-2013 at 06:02.

Blog Entries

Why are the Finns so collectable?

This answer could be an entire article, so I will be as brief as I can. One factor is the low production numbers. The Finnish made Mosin Nagants were not produced on the scale of many battle rifles in WW2. One can compare 21 million Soviet M91-30's to only 130,000 (or so) Finnish M39 rifles to get a pretty clear picture of the number difference. All the Finnish Mosin Nagants are uncommon and some are downright rare. Also Finland has a great and interesting history behind it. A small nation of tough Finns stood up to the largest army in the world and gave much better than it took. The history is compelling and certainly is a factor in collecting. Another key factor is the simple fact that the Finnish made Mosin Nagants are well made and accurate rifles. They can hold their own in accuracy against any military arm made in their time frame. The old notion that cheap prices are why Finns are collectable is false, as the Finnish market is no longer a cheap one. This further goes to prove just how good the rifles themselves are. They have an appeal that is much greater than cheap prices.
    http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/finnfaq.asp
    Last edited by PhillipM; 11-30-2013 at 01:50.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Finland, why are these variants more desirable

As above, November 1939-March 1940, The Winter War

There are two times I know of when a mixmaster rebuild can compete with a pristine all original in value:

Anything that has U.S.M.C. provenance.

A Finnish Mosin-Nagant.

Shooter5 Guest

Many variations of Finnish Mosins and they do seem to be more accurate, the barrels are shimmed to the stocks on many of them. Here's a few pictures of my Finnish M91.

ismith, that is one sweet looking rifle . A mostly original Remington M91 modified by the Finns. If it could just talk.
    Last edited by Art; 12-02-2013 at 04:08.

well, I just bought one, probably paid too much for it, but we shall see. Would not be the first time i overpaid for something.
    I bought a Sako version of the nagant
    Now here is another question.
    Why did the Soviets build a carbine version of the Nagant, I have one and it is not bad rifle, pretty accurate 1 1/4" at 100 yards from prone, that aint bad. but like other carbine attempts it sure is loud and has a helluva whack on the shoulder. but for $67.00 us dollars at a gun show, why not? still say it would make a nice deer rifle for someone on a budget, but the safety issue for these things, no aftermarket safety and the original Russian "pull the striker and rotate it"
    is absurd. in reality the safety probably was to keep the finger off the trigger
    Last edited by pelago; 12-03-2013 at 07:28.