Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M2 Time Capsule

1. Default M2 Time Capsule

Its been years since I posted here, but I wanted to share this as I expect it will be of interest. I stopped a fellow carrying an 03A3 at our local show this weekend with a for sale sign and a box strapped to a cart. After inquiring about the rifle for sale, I asked what was in the box. He indicated that it was an M2 Springfield and his asking price. I was interested and upon asking what the condition was of the M2 he replied that he did not know. He did not know??? Well the short story is that it had been his grandfathers who put it, without opening it, in the attic when it was received in 1957. The grandson also had not opened it. I thought for a minute about buying an unopened rifle, but decided I had to open it to make sure that it was not a rust pile.

Here are photos of how the Army packaged M2 Springfields in March 1957. The rifle was shipped from Mt. Rainier Ord Depot. in Tacoma, WA. Cost was $30 and shipping was $2.85. I edited out the name and address. Let me know if you have any questions. --- I am trying to resist the temptation to clean it.IMG_0876..jpgIMG_0866..JPGIMG_0875..JPGIMG_0877..jpgIMG_0878..JPG

2. Default

lucky you, Merry Christmas a bit early I suppose

Wow! Now get down to the store and buy a lottery ticket!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I'd have to clean it and go shooting.

I note it has the sight hood on it.Were there any other accessories shipped with the rifle?
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

6. Default

No just the sight hood. Also no WWII contractor markings on the sight hood.
    Last edited by MattinPdx; 11-26-2013 at 06:28.

7. Default

IMG_0880..JPGIMG_0873..jpgIMG_0879..jpg

A couple more pics of the paper work.

8. Default

It appears the stock is an altered 1922M1 issue style stock. Note the short comb and shortened pistol grip area.

9. Default

I think you are probably right. It does have a shorter drop compared to an M2 stock. That would also explain why the base of the pistol grip is not marked M2. The stock is circle P proofed and has an rebuild stamp SA over an R in a box. The serial 14367B and receiver marked M1922II is consistent with a modified M1 stock assuming Springfield kept the parts together during rebuild. Butt plate is the early NM style. Bolt is marked M2 but not marked NS at the top flat of the handle. The barrel date is 11-32. Anyone have an opinion as to if this may be the original barrel?
    Last edited by MattinPdx; 11-27-2013 at 03:06.

Anyone have an opinion as to if this may be the original barrel?

Herschel will chime in sooner or later. Probably later as it is Thanksgiving tomorrow; and hunting season right now in the South.
    You might post on the M1903 forum also as many '03 collectors are interested in the M1 and M2 versions also.

Nice rifle, thanks for sharing !!!

FWIW,

Emri