Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default National Archive request for my Great-Grandfather's M1903...

Welp, here goes nothing... MY grandmother and I sent in a request to the national archives to see if we can find my great grandfather's M1903 serial number. He hit France as a rifleman and combat replacement in July 1918... be interesting to see if they have his files on record still (hopefully his files werent destroyed in the fire of the 70s).

Its definitely a crap shoot, but if I do find it I'll try my best to find the rifle...

Not the best picture, but some of the stuff I was given by the family of his...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It depends on what you get back - my uncle's records from WWI (U.S. Marines) was extremely detailed; I sent away for my father-in-law's records (WWII and Korean War Navy) was very sketchy. My uncle's records came back with the M1903 serial number he had first been issued.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TDP0311 View Post
    Welp, here goes nothing... MY grandmother and I sent in a request to the national archives to see if we can find my great grandfather's M1903 serial number. He hit France as a rifleman and combat replacement in July 1918... be interesting to see if they have his files on record still (hopefully his files werent destroyed in the fire of the 70s).
    Its definitely a crap shoot, but if I do find it I'll try my best to find the rifle...
    Not the best picture, but some of the stuff I was given by the family of his...
    I tried with zero luck. I got nothing back.

What is the medal on the left?

jt

Well since my great grandfather was a Marine, I am encouraged by that! Any luck finding your uncle's rifle?

JT- its a French Croix de Guerre

6. Default

JT- its a French Croix de Guerre
    Thank you.

jt

PS
    0311 - MOS?
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 11-24-2013 at 07:34.

Well since my great grandfather was a Marine, I am encouraged by that! Any luck finding your uncle's rifle?
    No, one problem - the serial number was low enough it could have either been a Rock Island or Springfield; have a hunch it's a Rock Island, but no sign of either one.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

JT- yes, I was an 0311

Rick, well I hope you have some luck in the future and possibly it turns up... be pretty incredible to have a relative's war rifle.

Actually, it would be a rifle he carried in the service, rather than a "ear rifle" - he spent the war on Cavite, in the Philippines, Guam and Mare Island, as a messman.
    --C.S. Lewis

I collect Marine uniforms and have requested records form the archives many times. To be honest though, you are better off paying a researcher to go get them for you and copy them. Half of the time I have got records from the government you cannot read them, they are copies wrong, or pages are missing.

But when you pay a researcher they do an excellent job and the quality is a 100 times better in my opinion. I use Red Bird Research for mine. She charges about $50 or less to pull the records and mail them to you. Also you usually get them less than 2 weeks. I have her email if you wanted to contact her.

I would highly recommend a researcher.