Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ron James View Post
    I believe there is too much do-do about collecting modern revolvers. It is a very good revolver, The ten inch barrel is akward for just woods carry, but if one used a hand gun for hunting, it would be ideal. It is well worth having and I feel it is a fair price. I would still try and haggle the price down if possible. If I had a need for another 44 mag I would also jump on it, but hell, I'm still trying to convince my wife that I really needed the .45 Colt Mountain Gun I picked up.
    +1 on collecting modern revolvers, at least now, except for the really high end jobs like the pre 1982 Smith & Wesson Model 27 and its predecessors, the Colt Python, and a handful of very low production models. The real dollar value of almost all modern revolvers hasn't gone up that much, even in excellent condition. That includes the high end ones I mentioned, except the Python and S&W pre Model 27 .357 Magnums.

To most people a good modern revolver, even a nice Colt Detective Special or S&W Model 15 are still just nice useful used guns for carry, nightstand or hunting use.

I also agree that the price on the revolver in the O.P. is very fair.
    Last edited by Art; 11-26-2013 at 07:27. Reason: Punctuation, syntax

agreeing with what Art just posted.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

3. Default

I would go with a 4" better balance more useful.

4. Default

Anyone checked the prices of the pre 29 revolvers? They are bringing unbelievable prices from just a few years ago.

Owning a Model 29 doesn't have a lot to do with being useful. I shot my pre 29 for years, and each time I reloaded ammunition I found myself loading lighter and lighter until the loads approached .44 Special loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Anyone checked the prices of the pre 29 revolvers? They are bringing unbelievable prices from just a few years ago.

Owning a Model 29 doesn't have a lot to do with being useful. I shot my pre 29 for years, and each time I reloaded ammunition I found myself loading lighter and lighter until the loads approached .44 Special loads.
    Pre Model 29 .44 Magnums are one of those very low production guns I mentioned in my post above. 3" barrel Model 66s are another. Pre Model 29 .44 Magnums were only made from 1955-1957 and do indeed bring a very nice premium. Your are correct that a Model 29 is truly a "niche" revolver, but a very nice one. The first (and only) one I shot was a 4" barrel version carried as a duty weapon by an Agent in the New York City Office I worked in in the late 1970's. It was a hoot!! How he got permission to carry it was a mystery to me, but he got authorization and carried it in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster a la "Dirty Harry." He was a big guy, about 6'2" and 200 pounds, which helped, he was also a snappy dresser, partial to 3 piece European suits and sharp blazers.
    Last edited by Art; 12-03-2013 at 05:22.

You had to mention Colt Pythons. If I don't get that out of my head I might start drinking.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Concerning 10 inch barrels. I owned a Ruger 44 Mag with a 10 inch barrel that I used for silhlotte (spelling) matches. I was unwieldly for me. Went back to my Ruger 7.5 inch barrel.