1. Default Second Stock Screw - When?

Last night I picked up two new, to me, '03's. One of them is a very nice, seemingly original, rifle from the earliest days of our involvement in WWI; serial number 658821, Bbl date 5-17. The only thing I wonder about is the stock, which has two screws in it. It's never been clear to me when those screws first started to appear. I've done a little research and come up with limited data from the published experts:

Brophy - Added "during WWI." References first appearance of second screw in "Rules for the Management" dated May 26, 1918. Brophy - pg. 51, The Springfield 1903 Rifles, 1985.

Campbell - "In 1918 a front stock bolt was added, and the bolt handle given a slight rearward sweep." Campbell - pg. 15, The '03 Springfields, 1978.

Canfield - "This occurred by 1918 and was reportedly done to reduce stock damage caused by the severe recoil when firing the V-B grenage launcher" - Canfield - pg. 56, An Illustrated Guide to the Springfield '03 Service Rifle, 2004.

No source I can find provides a hard date on which the order to incorporate the second screw was issued or a date after which all manufactured rifles had the second screw. Several photos in the Canfield book appear to show '03's with the second screw installed during WWI, but none are dated. See, Canfield pp. 49 (upper), 69 (upper) and 70.

I will say that the screws on my rifle appear to be identical, both having a slight loss of finish in the center of the head on the left side, perhaps having something to do with the installation process. The same is true of the rear screw on my circa 1910 rifle but not the front one, which was probably installed during one of it's two trips through Benecia Arsenal. Still, I'm not sure that proves anything. The two screws in the 1917 rifle are staked in place on the right side where they are screwed into the stock escutcheons that hold them. On the 1910 rifle, the rear screw is staked and the front screw is not. The 1917 rifle has no rebuild marks. Of course, adding a second screw to the stock would hardly constitute a significant rebuild. Maybe both screws were there from the begining and maybe not. A couple of pictures are provided below.

Do any of you have original rifles produced before 1918 in your collections with both screws, or photos of originals in your data bases of rifles produced before 1918 with both screws? Are any of you aware of documentary evidence of when the second screws were first incorporated into the manufacture of the '03?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ironlip; 11-24-2013 at 02:02.

2. Default Some Additional But Inconclusive Data

A search of the Springfield Armory website revealed pictures of several rifles that may have been produced in 1917 or very early 1918 with both stock screws in place.

SN 746142 Bbl Date 11-17
    SN 747390 Bbl Date 11-17
    SN 747456 Bbl Date 11-17
    SN 789300 Bbl Date 1- 18 - this was supposedly John Pederson's rifle that he modified for the first Pederson Device.

It's worth keeping in mind that some rifles in the collection are not necessarily original. For example, Canfield refers to a rifle in the Springfield collection reportedly used by a sniper and camouflage painted with serial number 689442. Unfortunately, its stock was damaged in a fire and replaced. Most of the rifles above other than the Pederson rifle are in the collection due to the installation of experimental sights. According to the website, in November 1917 Springfield was manufacturing 1000 rifles a day.

Late 1917 or so. Like a lot of changes, there was some "transition" time.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Can you tell us a little more about your 1917 rifle ... stock markings, bolt marking, barrel, etc.?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default Other marks

The stock cartouche is WES. Brophy says he was active between 1916 - 1917. Same cartouche is on 789300, which is dated 1 - 18. Their is also a script P in a circle and a very small number 2 just in front of that. To me, the underside of the bolt looks like it has Mickey Mouse on it. Pictures of both are below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually, WES (William E. Strong) was active at other times, as far back as 1908 and as far "forward" as 1920.

Look on the bolt's safety lug, about halfway up the bolt body - look on all sides.

Although I'd defer to John Beard on this, the "script" P has me suspicious, as the latest I saw those was about 1915. I'm wondering if a modified one-bolt stock?
    --C.S. Lewis

I agree with the script Ps, it will be interesting to see if this could still be an original stock...

This is a very, very nice rifle though. Great find! It must have been kept by someone who loved it- not very often to see them in that great of shape.
    Last edited by TDP0311; 11-24-2013 at 04:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlip View Post
    Are any of you aware of documentary evidence of when the second screws were first incorporated into the manufacture of the '03?
    Yes, April, 1917. Your rifle is fitted with a correct stock.

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-24-2013 at 04:20.

I'd like to see more photos of your 1917 rifle. It's really sharp and un messed with. Nice!

...and you might take my suggestion and look on the safety lug for the stamp, Ironlip. Earlier bolts had the steel lot code stamped there, rather than the top or bottom of the bolt handle. JB has an extensive list of bolt marking varieties that would indicate whether your bolt might be correct/original.

Below is a "sample" of such a markings, although there are numerous varieties:

--C.S. Lewis