Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hatcock and the 50 cal at the arizona??

1. Default

Mw too! Wasn't it An Hoa?

I have been told this Unertl is set up for the M2. I showed it to my Supervisor who is an old Marine (I say old Marine because there is no such thing as an X-Marine). He states He saw one set up in Beirut like it. He is not one to tell tails. I showed him the scope and he looked through it and said in a matter of fact way it was set up for a .50 M2. I don't know how true It is, but his word is golden with me. It dose have that been there done that look about it. It has a post reticle in it instead of cross-hairs.

Photo below is titled "Carlos_Hathcock_M2-1.jpg" but could have been mislabeled.

Another photos of M2 with scope:
    http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...hcock-M2-1.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Here is a pic of the post reticle. It is still a clear optic. Dave

another pic.

How many of you know that William Brophy, the same Brophy of the 1903 rifle reference book fame, is one of the early pioneers of the .50 BMG sniper rifle?

"Hathcock's successful 50-caliber experience rests on work Brophy began with the 50 caliber in Korea in 1951. However, Brophy redesigned the firearm to make it more easily usable and deployable. Thinking that turn about was fair play he took a Soviet PTRD 14.5mm (57 caliber) bolt-action antitank rifle and fitted it with a 50-caliber machine gun barrel. The rifle had a skeleton tube stock, an elevating device as a pistol grip, a bipod for stability, and a cheek piece that projected from the stock. With a scope mounted on top it looked like a Jurassic Age ancestor of the rifles that running boar shooters use today. The use of the 50 caliber enabled Brophy and his team to inflict casualties on the enemy at ranges between 1,000 to 2,000 yards."

If you've never read Bill Brophy's bio, you should. Here's the bio where the above quote comes from http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...ll-brophy.html
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 05-24-2014 at 05:53.

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    been some comment and or questioln as to (not a quote but close) has anyone seen what a fifty cal does to the human body,
    yes i have
    it not only puts the insides on the outside but blows it into chunks and blows it in the air
    a torso shot usually leaves thighs, knees and feet not much else
    i have never seen anyone walk away from a fifty cal hit
    No i did not shoot them myself, but we had them at 881 and we used them, and they do reach out and touch

Pelago, A captain with the local fire department suffered a grazing wound to his hand from a VC with a ma Deuce............ Donny always felt he was truly blessed that the round did not hit him anywhere on his torso..........he has a helluva scar, but has pretty good use of that hand.....

Added: Jay thanks for the link to the best piece on Wm. Brophy that I've ever seen
    Last edited by da gimp; 05-24-2014 at 06:43. Reason: added
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter