Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looks like a USMC sight cover on that 1903

2. Default

Jim, if you don't mind me asking: how then can an original Winchester A5 sniper be identified? Mann-Neider modified scope mount, rear base on the middle of the reciever, .. but are there any other unique features, or should I just compare it with pictures in Brophy's book?

3. Default

Any ideas on what is projecting up from his pack?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    Jim, if you don't mind me asking: how then can an original Winchester A5 sniper be identified? Mann-Neider modified scope mount, rear base on the middle of the reciever, .. but are there any other unique features, or should I just compare it with pictures in Brophy's book?
    I have never seen a picture of an original A5 sniper rifle showing its ID marks in any of the books I have read or perused. Other than the distinct scope, mounts, and serial number range, they were also stamped with certain additional identifying marks unique to those rifles.

jt

that backs up what i was told., per the bases being high temp soldered on...great info.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I would surmise this photo is from fairly early in the war. His pack is the early type with the full flap to close it. His canteen is the type with the metal cap and his canteen cover is the short flap type. His first aid pouch is the Marine Corps style pouch used early in the war. He also lacks a camouflage cover for his helmet, using instead the army issue large net type cover. My guess is this photo likely was not taken on Guadalcanal but instead during the campaigns on one of the other islands in the Solomons. As to what is sticking up out of his pack, I think that may be an illusion and is foliage on the opposite side that just appears to be projecting from his pack.
    Last edited by Garden Valley; 11-24-2013 at 11:58.

pack used early in the war?
    Heck that is the same damn thing i got when i reported to 3/3 just prior to going in to DaNang, in March of '65, same canteen also, in fact i still have the canteen it went with me to med evac and i just sort of kept it, along with the rest of my WWII 782 gear

I remember us working with 3/3 along the coast north of Cua Viet in summer 1968. Their radio call sign was FIRE RAIDER. Always envied that. Ours at the time was DALLAS GIRL. Didn't have the same ring as FIRE RAIDER!

The pack you and I had was the standard Marine Corps M1941, but the design changed mid-WWII and the long cover flap was eliminated and the color changed from mustard khaki to OD green. The re-designed pack was a bag type pack where the top was folded over successively until it was closed. A lot of WWII 782 gear was used by the Reserves well into the 1960's, but little made it that long in active duty units. If you had the early WWII pack in 1965 in 3/3 then that is unusual.

my avatar is my photo from 1965 even still had the sateen utilities on, and the suspenders from 1941. photo taken 3rd or 4th night in da nang, if memory serves sometime later that year 5th comm bn was created and off i went to 5th comm,

10. Default

Jim, I know you good enough that you'd never let us know all of those distinctive markings on a true WWI USMC sniper, but can you give us an example of one of those distinctive markings? Just like that the scope block screws were staked (just a guess/suggestion for an example), etc. Would at least help me to know when I'm close enough to a rifle to then contact you for final verification!