Default Rolling Block site, please? Not inflammatory

Gents, good evening. Father's estate included a rolling block rifle and a rolling block carbine (...worn...) Is there a RB forum you'd recommend? I have one loaded cartridge (.43 Spanish, maybe...) and a LOAD of stories including "Uncle Johnny from Sweden carried this in the Boer War... RSVP TIA Geoff

Here's a forum that gets a fair amount of discussion on rolling block rifles, mostly on shooting them, less on history or collecting:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ssr

You see an occasional post here as well, since the U.S. Navy and some state militia units used the Remington.

If it's a bottleneck cartridge it is most likely a .43 Spanish. Ye Olde Hunter and navy Arms sold thousands of Argentine rolling blocks back in the 1960's. My brother bought his long rifle out of a barrel in an Oklahoma gun shop in 1961, for $11.95 IIRC. they sell for a bit more now.

jn

My RB rifle (M1876) uses a bottleneck cartridge but it's a 11.75 Danish made in 1882. Still looking for a bayonet I can afford.

I tried to register at http://www.remingtonsociety.com/foru...9be09b1102adb9 but it will not accept my E-mail address. I like this site better anyway!

Yes, I remember that - did I ever suggest that you contact Ed Hull? He should have enough juice to get that problem corrected. It's a VERY good website.

Default Rolling-block bayonet question, joem and others,please

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    My RB rifle (M1876) uses a bottleneck cartridge but it's a 11.75 Danish made in 1882. Still looking for a bayonet I can afford.
    joem & others, joem mentioned a RB bayonet... Father's RB rifle has a bayonet... Would/could anyone suggest a RB bayonet guide, website or book (manual) to aid my learning progress.

Stay warm all. Geoff