Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98k Mauser

1. Default

Got them to go to $235 out the door, check and all. Now I just have to start trying to find an original stock to replace what's on it. AND some ammo. thanks again for input and if I have (when) any more ? will get back on here. So if any of you know where I might get a stock or if you have any, the rifle is byf 44 for correct, but I will settle for something close as long as it is military issue.

Would love to see b4 and after pics if possible. Congrats on ur purchase. I'll check with a k98 collector I work with Monday and see if he has a stock that will work for u.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty T. View Post
    What are the chances that I would be able to sell the sporter stock on it now? Is there any demand for sporter stocks for these now? And while I'm asking questions and getting answers, have seen some ads for "large ring" stocks for Mauser rifles. What is that in reference to? Thanks again for your patience dealing with my fundamental questions on these.
    I am not an e-bay fan so seldom go there. Maybe people are sporterizing these guns again and stocks can be sold. But they have become so collectable I am not aware of that.
    As for a 'large ring' stock you need one for a Kar.98k. Almost all military Mausers made since 1898 are large ring and there are many, many varities. Large ring is in reference to the diameter of the reciever ring, the part the barrel screws into.

4. Default

I'll have to get the wife to post a pic. Got some ammo from a reloading friend that had come across a huge box of it. So now we're back to needing a stock. So you all keep an eye out for me and see if you can help me locate a decent one for this rifle. It just don't seem right to have one in a sporter stock even if they were on the "wrong" side.

5. Default

Ok, here we go again. This rifle that I bought has a Fagen sporter stock on it. Is in really good shape, just one small scrap down next to the trigger. Anybody got any idea what this might be worth because I want to sell it to help finance a military stock. Thanks.

Fagen sold stocks from 'you finish it' to fully finished, even some were that were "semi-inletted". Not particarly expensive and I think buyers to-day would be hard to find for one of these. I would guess maybe a hundred or less. You will also need lower band, upper band, band spring and bayonet lug. On a 44 date the bands should be stamped, however it will be a mix-master anyway, the milled type are much nicer. And do not forget a handguard (matched wood) and butt plate W/screws.

7. Default

Dave, I mean this in a VERY complimentary way. You seem like a fellow that really knows his Mausers. I think it would be a great time just to be able to sit down and let you go on and on about all the different variations and models of these rifles. Thanks for all the info and I will try to learn more about them as time goes by. And for sure, as I have more questions, will get back here again.

I have been collecting Mausers (mainly) since the 1950's. After a couple years decided to buy only 1898 models made by FN, Germany, Czech. and Yugo. I still learn about these models I have never heard of before, so I do not consider myself any kind of an 'expert'. Knowgeable perhaps. I have dozens of books and other reference material. I have also learned allot about collecting, anything, over the years.
    I would be very happy to help where I can but there are many earlier Mauser models I know little about. First lesson on collecting--concetrate on one thing and learn that subject as much as possible. Some collect every Mauser they see, no matter the model or the country that manufactured it (and some are really junk!). They end up with a collection with no cohesion and no hope of coming close to completeing it. This is just my opinion, everone has there own, just as valid. I know one guy who collects only Mausers made for 'export' to other country's military. 'A plan', I guess you can call it. Now ask me about early Mossberg .22 rifles! Hehehe.
    Sorry if this sounds like a lecture!