Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98k Mauser

1. Default 98k Mauser

Will tell you right up front that I know little or nothing about Mauser rifles so I am at the mercy of the collectors here. I have a decent group of M1's and I wanted a German rifle to go with them just for the sake of having one. Here is the question. I have a chance to buy a 98k with byf 44 marked receiver and mismatched parts. Finish is good and markings have not been peened. Drawback is that it is in a sporter stock. Priced at $250 out the door. I know that pics would help a great deal, but rifle is in the store so cannot get pics. Is this a good price and since I don't THINK it would take more than changing the stock to get it back in "wartime" condition, how much trouble would that be to change the stocks if I can find one? Thanks for any info.
    Marty T.

I just bought a Russian capture for 350 but it came with a bunch of ammo (milsurp Yugo) on stripper clips and 100 rds com. Once fired brass. I had looked at several b4 buying this one. The sported Russian captures here ran around $200.00. Most unmolested R.C's run around 275.00 to 300.00. If the bore is good and it was me I'd try and beat them down.

3. Default

Would it be worth it if I can get them to roll at $200?

As a collector it is not worth anything. Do you collect military or sporterized military? Its strickly a shooter/hunting rifle. Stocks for these are rather hard to find and not real cheap. You want a Mauser to 'go with your military collection' go to gun shows, plentty for sale there even if RC's. RC's are ligit military rifles.

5. Default

Not many gun shows around here and by the time I spend the time and gas to hunt for one, would be better off to buy a stock. Just want it as an example anyway, not as anything spectacular. Not got the extra cash for anything really nice, bad as I would like to. So with that in mind, what is the popular opinion? Thanks for all input.

Any sportered military will go for 200-300 so if thats what you want its a fair price. But you have to get a stock & handguard, probably an RC which will run maybe a hundred, altho I have not seen any for sale in long time.

7. Default

Not necessarily what I want, it's more what I can afford now and can make some adjustments later as I get a little change to spend. Couple of kids kinda take away the "fun" money if you know what I mean. But just making sure not spending more than I should for what I'd be getting. Rifle is pretty nice for what it is and don't want to miss it if it's good.

Try and move them to $200 and I wouldn't pop for anymore than 225.00

9. Default

What are the chances that I would be able to sell the sporter stock on it now? Is there any demand for sporter stocks for these now? And while I'm asking questions and getting answers, have seen some ads for "large ring" stocks for Mauser rifles. What is that in reference to? Thanks again for your patience dealing with my fundamental questions on these.

Mauser sporter stocks bring some big $$ on E-bay if they are a good quality one & not a cut down mil. stock. Check them out.