Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chilean Mauser hand guard

Picked up a model 1895 the other day. It's in nice shape. All matching except the cleaning rod.This is the first one of these I have owned. The pictures I've seen have a hand guard that extend over the rear sight to a collar like an 03a3. this one stops at the front of the rear sight. There is a slot cut and a piece of brass stuck down in the slot. (see Pics) If this isn't some kind of odd varient what models of mauser's could I use for a replacement?

Thanks
    Doug

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rammel View Post
    . . . . . .There is a slot cut and a piece of brass stuck . . . . .
    What you think is a "piece of brass" in the slot is actually extremely fine wire, wrapped very tightly around the hand guard and barrel!

Do NOT attempt to remove this, as you'll NEVER get it re-wrapped to look decent!
    Last edited by JimF; 11-16-2013 at 03:23.

Was this some kind of arsenal repair?

No. . . . This is how they were originally assembled. Later they went to the more common type of hand guard attachment.
    I have the same hand guard on my 1891 Argentine Mauser.
    If you ever take the barreled action out of the stock, you will see what superior craftsmanship is all about!! --Jim

Should there be a a "clip" at the barrel/receiver joint that holds the rear of the handguard?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    Should there be a a "clip" at the barrel/receiver joint that holds the rear of the handguard?
    No, no clip required because the rear of the guard is in FRONT of the rear sight!

The top of the barrel is exposed between the receiver and the back-end of the rear sight. --Jim

I finally took the gun apart. The stock is inletted for the collar like an 03A3. You can see indentations at the inletting where the collar was in place. The wire that holds the handguard is very well done. The stock was inletted for clearance and a hole was drilled to let the twisted wire fit without interferance. I believe it's an arsenal repair. it's to well done to be Bubba. This gun was made in Germany. They would not have installed the handguard like this. if you look at the third picture you can see the inletting but not the indentations.

Should I try to get a proper handguard or keep it with the repair?

You are mistaken, it is original, as you were advised above. (91 Argintines were the same). Features such as this were many times specified by the buying country. Perhaps they liked the Argintine model. They would have used stocks of the normal type (manufacture) even tho the handguard is mounted differently. They would not change set up of stock machine for this one order, they were selling (trying anyway) to other countries the normal pattern.

Well OK But how do you explain the indentations marks for the collar? If I can get a good pic of the marks i will post it. Is any of this documented anywhere? The serial # is B4300.
    Last edited by Doug Rammel; 11-21-2013 at 01:39.

If you are saying 'indentation marks' are from a collar having been used on this stock? then I can not explain that, except to say you must be correct. At any rate I would leave it as is. Even you say it looks "professionaly done", meaning arsenal done.