Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 22 Magnum Ammo Shortage

Does anybody have any perspective or idea when the current shortage of 22 magnum ammo will open up? I cannot find this round anywhere-nor can any of my friends. Probably the most utilitarian and versatile round of all. The shelves are dry in Va and online there ain't nothin'.

PD

It is available some places in southeast Texas but strictly rationed to one or two boxes a day. Cost is $10.00 to $15.00 a box depending on manufacturer and bullet type. This is better than it was six months ago when it was almost totally unavailable and when you did find it, it sometimes ran $20.00 a box . Not great but better than it was. Hopefully the light is at the end of the tunnel - and it's not an oncoming train.

I was at a local gun store/ indoor range. Ammo boxes were few but most calibers were available. I didn't ask about limits.

Wow! This post made me seek out some ammo for myself. You're right. Cannot locate 22wmr even at my favorite, usually well-stocked, locales. I only shoot it in my Anschutz 1416 which is my "walking around" gun for the farm. I verify the fixed 4x scope hasn't been jostled with 3 or 4 rounds, then it's hunting all day - maybe getting off 5 to 10 shots. My "stash" of around 100 rnds suddenly doesn't look so sufficient. I will watch for the trend to change. I usually buy the Hornady VMAX fodder. AND if I find some, I will post here (after I order mine, that is).
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

5. Default

You can find it here but it's more expensive. .22LR is never seen.

I'm afraid the 22LR and 22Mag will remain in shooort supply until we kick the wanna-be dictator out of the White House. The local Walmarts are calling friends/family when a shipment arrives. None ever reaches the shelves. The public is suspicious of the communists in government. Regards, Clark

Here in S.E. Iowa, 22lr is readily available at gun shops/pawn shops. I like to keep a minimum of 1000 rounds for every caliber I own.
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

I said I'd report back, so here I am. Found Hornady VMAX 30 gr varmint 22WMR ammo at Cabelas:
    Either I got the very last box of 50, or they are limiting buyers to a single box. On sale @ 13.99/box
    There is also this:
    http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/c...MMUNITION.html
    500 rnds for $180.00
    Hope this helps.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Do not look for any US made 22 lr being available for a very long time. Winchester told dealers in my area that due to the shortage of virgin lead, they cannot make any 22 as the last smelter in the US has shut it's doors. Now ore has to be shipped from here to China where it's turned in virgin lead and then shipped back here. Each shipment will be about a 6 month turn around time and demand for the lead will be very high between ammo makers. They also said expect a 15% price increase in all ammo. Looks like the little guy gets it in the end again. Thank you Mr. President and your EPA for all of this.