Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post13468231

If I had worded the poll differently I would have gotten 100% that it was a stupid comment. But asking if you would be offended instead got a few votes for not being offensive but still stupid... Anyway. It is still a victory and as some put it, a idiotic statement for a person to make..

I like the one guys input that the Founding Fathers made their own BP and I should be proud to be in that Company with them....I am...

Anyway I rest my case and claim victory and will not be back to this thread. If you want and have any questions PM or email me..Thanks
    Last edited by carbineone1964; 02-18-2014 at 11:58.

2. Default

I have read that many model rocket folks make their own propellants which is black powder. They have different methods and mixtures and compare their results with factory made black powder. They are quite ingenious and some have some pretty sophisticated equipment for testing. It has come a long ways from ball mills and bunkers. Some BP shooters use their formulas to concoct their own mix seeking that elusive perfect powder. It appears to be somewhat labor intensive, but interesting to read their results. As with any hobby it is a good idea to do all the research ahead of time before jumping in. I have never attempted to make it because Swiss powder is available as well as other brands in my home town. It's easier for me to pull out the plastic and get a pound or two rather than assemble all the needed supplies and equipment to make it.

O K, OK, OK.......
    Wasn't the original thought to make a "black powder substitute"?
    Asorbic acid or something?

I make my own and I'm no terrorist.
    It is just as safe as hand loading.
    It requires using common sense and following some rules.
    If ya cant follow the rules and have no common sense, don't do it. But than, you have no bizz handling any kind of powder, primers, or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Peconga View Post
    US Patent No: 4,497,676 "Gunpowder substituted composition and method"
    Granted: 02/04/1985
    Inventor: Earl F. Kurtz, Las Vegas NV
    Abstract: A gunpowder substitute which is capable of also being molded into a consumable cartridge or cartridge case comprising between 50% to 75% by weight of an inorganic nitrate and between 25% to 50% by weight of an organic acid including ascorbic acid, erythorbic acid and mixtures thereof.

No idea if it works, but it sounds like fun.
    It works pretty good, it's marketed as American Pioneer Powder. I recently shot a 1", 3 shot group at 100yds using TC Shocker 200gr Spire Points over 120gr. The rifle was an very inexpensive CVA Buckhorn Magnum. I was super impressed as I didn't even have to adjust the old Armsport 4x scope I'd put on it. I know one can buy ascorbic acid acid powder, all you need is to find a source of nitrates. I won't be mixing my own soon, but might consider doing so at some point in the future. Might even play with it in a 30-40 Krag with cast bullets.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

6. Default

I had some American Pioneer substitute and used it up. As it got older, it definitely deteriorated but still worked. I tried to buy more but cold not find it anywhere for sale. In the end I went to Alliant Black MZ which I am told is the same thing. I read somewhere that Alliant bought out American Pioneer but I can't confirm that. The Black MZ is good stuff IMO. It has no sulfur and clean up is just warm water. I mixed up some cleaner made from equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. It cleans it up nice. The only problem is I have to buy the powder from Grafs or other mail order operation. No one sells it locally. All I can find on the shelves around here is Pyrodex and it's somewhat corrosive.
    Last edited by ignats; 03-11-2014 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Texxut View Post
    I used to make it when I was a kid. We'd fill little bottles and taped them to toy cars. Made our own fuses and set "matchbox" land speed records.
    Same here. I used BBQ charcoal and ground everything up like flour. I don't remember the ratio but it was like firecracker BP and very potent. You could put a match to a pile of it and it would flash off leaving hardly no residue. I set some of it off using a 2" diameter steel water pipe cut down to about 20" long with a treaded cap on one end basically making it a cannon. I put it in a pipe vise outside on a bench and aimed it straight up almost. When I lit it off the wind concussion blew out all the windows of my Dad's workshop, it cracked some old auto batteries that had been sitting outside and they started leaking, there was an old steel rusted 5 gal bucket sitting there as well that was full of rain water. That bucket never held water again. All of this just from the concussion. The pipe launched itself from the vise and went >10' into hard packed driveway gravel. It turned some junk into super junk--I needed to clean up the place anyway. Those were the good old days.
    I for one would not have wanted a substitution for this. This fine grade could not have been used in a firearm bore or chamber but would have made great flash powder for a flintlock.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-17-2014 at 12:40.

8. Default

Used to make it when I was a kid. However, I was Immortal then.