Default DCM Krag carbine cheap

If it is what they say I would think this is a good deal. Thoughts?? Rick B

http://www.armslist.com/posts/231293...cm-nra-variant

It may well (any competent gunsmith could perform exactly the same work - and many did) be precisely what he says it is, but, buy it for that, not as a "Krag carbine", which it will never be.

If you are subconsciously equating that price against that of a real carbine, it might be affecting your thinking as to whether or not it is a "good deal".

On closer looking, it doesn't appear to be 98, but I can't say for sure. The area in the stock for the bolt channel appears to have been hogged out too.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Good eye Bob... looks like the stock is pre-1898, or made to look like a pre-1898. That barrel band has a sling mount on it too. I'd bet dollars for donuts that a plug will be found in the front of the stock where it was cut down.

Paul, the "variant" in question originally was (and very openly) a cut-down. The government was quite up front about it - they aren't carbines, per se, hence my advice to Rick to not compare the price to a carbine price.

Roger that Dick, thanks for explaining. Sometimes I jump in before I understand everything about it.

What I found hilarious was his offer to trade for a "Non-import" K98! When did we make K98'S IN THIS COUNTRY??????????

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    What I found hilarious was his offer to trade for a "Non-import" K98! When did we make K98'S IN THIS COUNTRY??????????
    "Bringback." Not import marked.

Dude's not big on CAI markings engraved on the gun. Not uncommon. It does assume no guns were imported in the 1950s.....

Myself I think the "Russian Captures" are as interesting but I have odd tastes.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 11-13-2013 at 10:22.

K98k's were imported in the 1960's, I have the ads in a notebok. I never purchased one as there were many available at local gun shops, even in the 50's (bring backs). However from what I read and hear the imports were mostly mis-matched, of course some bring backs were too! RC's would make a nice collection but I do not buy rebuilds by any country and they just are not worth as much.
    Last edited by dave; 11-13-2013 at 10:45.