Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I may be picking up a really cheap sporterized Enfield, and I want to try something.

I have a chance to pick up a heavily sporterized Enfield #4 Mk1*. This one is beyond saving as anything but a sporter.

I have always wanted a short carbine length rifle, so my first thought is to have the barrel bobbed shorter. The existing front sight that is on it, is razor blade thin, and very difficult to see, as well as fairly fragile. Even if I do not shorten the barrel, at a minimum, it will need a new front sight, and I would prefer something similar to the original issue sights. What I would really like, though, is to bob the barrel back to about 18" and put a front sight on it similar to the issue sights. Where could I find front sights that might fit the bill for a project like this?

Numrich has front sights, but I have no idea how they are mounted to the barrel.

Any input on this project would be appreciated.

What kind of sight is on it now?

If you cut the barrel back having a No 4 Mk 1 front sight might not be practical. I find the issue sight butt ugly on a No 4 Mk 1 sporter but that's just me. You might consider going to a good gunsmith and discussing your options.
    Last edited by Art; 11-06-2013 at 06:48.

You need my folding South African stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    You need my folding South African stock!
    Tell us more Griff or better show us.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

5. Default

Currently the front sight is some kind of an aftermarket job. It looks like the best way to get it off is to cut it off. The barrel is not original in configuration either. The front end has been bobbed so that it is only the aftermarket sight and a normal type crown, not the normal No. 4 front end.

Bernie, you could always do away with the charger bridge. Not needed on a sporter and contrary to what some may say, doing so doesn't have an adverse effect on the receiver.
    The Lee Enfield was originally made w/o a charger bridge as were plenty of factory-made sporting rifles.
    When the bridge was added, it was for rapid reloading in battle, not for structural integrity. Some wil contend it's different on the No4 because the bridge was forged into the action body and not riveted as was on the No1 rifle. Again...so? It was only a production shortcut. The No4/EAL rifle was produced not only sans charger bridge but with lowered side walls as well. No problems with those!

No need to let the bridge influence your choice of sights.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I agree with JB White on removing the charger bridge. My SMLE sporter has the charger bridge removed. It provides a cleaner look, more like the old Lee-Speed sporters and doesn't compromise anything structurally.

Uhm, before you go cutting a bunch of stuff off, what kind of rear sight does it have? are you planning to scope it?

Have you considered just building it as a N05 clone?
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    Uhm, before you go cutting a bunch of stuff off, what kind of rear sight does it have? are you planning to scope it?

Have you considered just building it as a N05 clone?
    Very good point Guam

Well, I recently picked up a No.5 clone someone had "smoothed off" by cutting off that stupid ugly charger bridge.....and thus turning it into a very nice parts gun
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.