Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    Well, I recently picked up a No.5 clone someone had "smoothed off" by cutting off that stupid ugly charger bridge.....and thus turning it into a very nice parts gun
    ...or a very fast handling and somewhat nostalgic truck gun. How is the bore and action body? I discovered most "sporters" were in good shape before being cut. When you think about it, there was really no point in converting a poor shooting surplus rifle into a hunting rifle. Secondly, if that was all someone could afford odds are in favor they probably took better care of it if they were actually using it.
    If you can get past the point of seeing it what used to be....a desireable (and pricey) collectors piece. Unortunately once Bubba gets his sleazy and greasy paws on it, the only thing we can do is attempt to breathe a different life into it. So long as he left enough behind to allow it to be restored with a little dignity.
    Having been cut already, it will never be anything but a sporter. How nice a sporter depends upon how much "Bubba" tried to improve it. Some guys actually did acceptable work back in the days of $8 and $12 Enfields by the barrel full.
    I had a slick deer rifle based on a chopped and bobbed '43 Maltby. If I hadn't been offered a good dollar by a Wisconsin deer hunter I might still have it.
    My former 98K is now a 7.62x39 (my doing) but retains the gorgeous 1950's schnabelled walnut stock "Bubba" once used to make it his 8mm deer rifle.

All I'm saying Guamie is to sleep on it a bit before totally parting it out. Some parts might be used to recoupe some costs of taking it the next step beyond while the basic chassis will still offer many years of service.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    ...or a very fast handling and somewhat nostalgic truck gun.....
    With no rear sights? They cut off way too much and there is no way to attach a standard rear sight. There is also no place to mount one of those scope mounts that doesn't have to be drilled. They spent about $250 turning it into a No5 copy with no rear sight.

Oddly enough, it's easier for me to get a replacement receiver than to get all the other parts.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 11-20-2013 at 12:44.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.