Thread: Rem Umc mag?

Default Rem Umc mag?

Received a few mags today. 4th from left, is it a rem umc mag?

Probably not. There were a lot of Colt mags with slightly shorter base plates, too. It just depended on how the stampings worked out.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

few more pics. fourth from left.
    Last edited by 1563621; 11-06-2013 at 12:17.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

With the shorter tab and the dissimilar shape, I would say it is a pretty good possibility that it is a REM-UMC mag.

All the shape of the toe indicates is that the base was stamped out near the edge of the sheet of steel. It's simply short for that reason. I've got Colt, A, B and other mags with similarly shaped toes.
    www.m1911info.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gahimer View Post
    All the shape of the toe indicates is that the base was stamped out near the edge of the sheet of steel. It's simply short for that reason. I've got Colt, A, B and other mags with similarly shaped toes.
    So then, what makes a Rem Umc mag different than any other early mag. There has to be something peculiar to Rem Umc mags that one can point to. The toe is supposed to be about 1/16" shorter than other early mags, but what else?
    Last edited by Duane Hansen; 11-06-2013 at 09:09.

I think the short toe is primarily what to look for...but a well-formed toe that has been filed, shortened or squared-off. If you find a non-lanyard loop with an original, well-formed and rounded toe...then, it may be a Remington Arms-UMC mag. You might also compare finish and other characteristics to other known Colt mags and look for differences. I don't think it's all black and white, as the mags were supposedly made to the same specs and were supposed to be fully interchangeable.

There were 21,676 Rem-UMC pistols made in 1918-1919. That would mean there were probably less than 65K total mags for new pistols, plus whatever mags they may have produced for field service replacement purposes. Compare that to the Colt numbers and chances are pretty slim of finding a UMC mag. The majority of mags believed to be UMC are probably Colt.
    www.m1911info.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gahimer View Post
    I think the short toe is primarily what to look for...but a well-formed toe that has been filed, shortened or squared-off. If you find a non-lanyard loop with an original, well-formed and rounded toe...then, it may be a Remington Arms-UMC mag. You might also compare finish and other characteristics to other known Colt mags and look for differences. I don't think it's all black and white, as the mags were supposedly made to the same specs and were supposed to be fully interchangeable.

There were 21,676 Rem-UMC pistols made in 1918-1919. That would mean there were probably less than 65K total mags for new pistols, plus whatever mags they may have produced for field service replacement purposes. Compare that to the Colt numbers and chances are pretty slim of finding a UMC mag. The majority of mags believed to be UMC are probably Colt.
    Thanks......