Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My friend (the one who had all the Remington M1903s) used mineral spirits on one of the stocks on my recommendation and it turned out blotchy and terrible - which was about as terrible as I felt for making the suggestion!

Although I am not a proponent of not cleaning off cosmolene, some are, and since you mentioned you might want to sell the rifle, probably best not to clean it.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Devil Dog,
    Look at the first picture, scroll to the right.
    O.G. stamp is on far right of the picture....

D.
    Last edited by Dad; 11-04-2013 at 05:38.

Definitely an advanced collector piece you have there, willhunt. Congratulations, either way you get a highly desirable collector gun or some nice hobby money.

As far as your uncle giving you this time capsule, at the time those guns were sold by the Army for $20, which is maybe a bit over $100 in today's money. He likely had no idea what it was worth. They also sold other "obsolete" weapons, the M-1 Carbine and M-1911A1 pistol, at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Devil Dog,
    Look at the first picture, scroll to the right.
    O.G. stamp is on far right of the picture....

D.
    Thanks. I never scrolled to the right.

Your rifle is original, except for having a replacement front sight cover. I have little doubt that the front sight cover currently on the rifle was on it when your uncle received it. However, it didn't leave the Remington factory with that cover on it.

You have an outstanding rifle. The rifle represents maximum value just as it appears. Any cleanup or tampering will reduce its collectibility and value. The "O.G." is a re-inspection stamp applied prior to sale and does not represent an arsenal overhaul.

Incidentally, your rifle is doubly interesting because a Remington M'03-A4 exists somewhere with that same exact duplicate serial number on it!

Hope this helps.

J.B.

6. Default

Congrats, you have a VERY fine rifle there. I wish it were mine. Consider yourself a LUCKY individual. Dont "F" with it. Leave her as is.

Raggs

7. Default

You have a real jewel there, willhunt.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...