Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Remington 03/A3.......Newbie, What Have I Got......

Hello to the forum.
    I've been looking around here for a little while, and this seems like the perfect place to ask about my rifle.
    I have owned it for about 5 years now. It was given to me by an uncle. I believe he purchased it in maybe the 60's, through the NRA.
    It came to me in a box, wrapped in some kind of padded paper material, and covered in a sticky goo. I have come to find out this is probably cosmoline.
    After reading a lot of threads here about these rifles, here are my observations.
    The barrel, safety, and receiver are parkerized. (I think) From what I have read, this would be right for an original 03/A3. I'm finding "R"'s on all of the parts that I can see.
    My questions would be, could this be an all original rifle? The wood looks to be untouched. Not a scratch or ding on it. And all of the screws look un-touched. Not a mark on them.
    Also, would it possibly hurt the price of it if I cleaned up the cosmoline. It looks kind of crappy in the pictures, and I'm sure it would clean up very beautifully.
    I am thinking of selling it, as it just sits in my basement. And the funds could go toward a new camera body or lens.
    Any and all info would be very welcome, including a range of possible resale values.
    One pic I forgot to take was the markings on the barrel. RA, over the bomb, with 9 43 under.
    Here are the pics, and if any more are needed, feel free to ask.

Above is the info on the box it came in. Thought it might help. Thanks.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

You can always buy a camera. But they aren't making Remington 1903A3s anymore. The value will never decrease.
    If you are not that familiar with firearms, here is a website that should help you disassemble it without breaking anything.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/03a3/index.asp
    I would use mineral sprits on a rag to clean off the cosmoline. A light coat of boiled linseed oil in case the stock is dry. No water, oven cleaner, sandpaper, or steel wool within ten feet of the rifle! :>)
    Check the auction sites for prices.
    You are fortunate to have a very nice collectors item!

Oh, and save the box. That adds to the package.
    Last edited by Deano41; 11-02-2013 at 09:15.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

The pictures show an 03-A3 in essentially the condition it had when it left the factory 70 years ago. Mineral spirits or (smelly) kerosene on a soft cloth will clean off the exterior if you really must - and a little raw linseed oil can be rubbed into the wood afterwards. Please don't disassemble it. Touching it with any tools or abrasives - even removing the sight protector - can quickly reduce its collector value significantly. I suspect retail price in the USA for such a specimen could surpass $1000 to someone looking for an "as new" specimen.

4. Default

Thank you, Deano41 and Parashooter for your very informative replies.
    After reading here and on other forums about these rifles, I kind of thought it might be a good one. But with all of the variations and arsenal rebuilds and such, it is good to have some confirmation from knowledgeable people.
    I am not a collector, but am a hunter, and do love a beautiful gun. For this reason, I am torn between cleaning the goo off to reveal the beauty, or leave it as is. I don't think I would take on the task of disassembling it myself. The screws are perfect right now, and they probably would not be afterward.
    Gonna have to think about selling it. Deano41 is right, cameras and lenses come and go.

The O.G. stamp on the stock signifies that the rifle passed thru the Ogden Arsenal for overhaul and or inspection.
    From the condition shown in the pictures, it looks like it was just inspected and stamped.
    I think it is a keeper, they don't get much better that this.

D.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    The O.G. stamp on the stock signifies that the rifle passed thru the Ogden Arsenal for overhaul and or inspection.
    From the condition shown in the pictures, it looks like it was just inspected and stamped.

D.
    Another testimonial!

Never mind taking it apart. ( It's just another bad habit of mine.) Anything parashooter says, you can take to the bank. (He's helped me on more than one occasion).
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

beautiful rifle, if cleaned I would do so carefully, and I wouldnt take it apart.

That's what we refer to as Minty!!!!!!!!
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

never use mineral spirts or other solvent to clean the grease, use a gun solvent or hot soapy water, why not just leave it, if you sell it..let the new owner worry about that .
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post

D.
    Where do you see an O.G. stamp?