Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No4 Mk 1

1. Default No4 Mk 1

Just back from the gunshow in Monroe, WA where there was table of 60-70 milsurp rifles being sold from a collection. I picked up a No 4 Mk1 with sling and spike bayonet. The bore looks good, headspace is a bit generous but serviceable. The tag indicated the rifle was acquired in 1968 and I don't see any import marks.

Curious about several things, maybe you know. I don't recognize the markings on the receiver so I'm not sure if this was a BSA or Faz. The receiver bridge is welded, maybe this was common for wartime builds? Thanks for any insight on this rifle.

Last edited by stratocaster; 11-03-2013 at 08:14.

I've never seen a weld there but that means little, What are the letters over 42 ?OF
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    I've never seen a weld there but that means little, What are the letters over 42 ?OF
    ROF. which I assume means Royal Ordinance Factory. I found the serial number range that indicates this is a Fazarkerley build. Odd about the welded receiver bridge.
    Last edited by stratocaster; 11-04-2013 at 12:02.

4. Default

The weld is common on Fazakerley rifles, Maltby and BSA were apparently swedging the charger bridge in place.
    I have unmolested FAZ No4s from 1942 into late 1943---if they were still allowing cats to do the welding in 1944-45 I can not say, as I have never gotten my hands on any in original configuration.
    -----krinko

The "England" on the receiver above the serial # is the import mark for the period when this rifle was imported.
    Nice piece!

Quote Originally Posted by swede49 View Post
    The "England" on the receiver above the serial # is the import mark for the period when this rifle was imported.
    Nice piece!
    +1 on that. Too many collectors who came onboard post-1980's fail to recognise that marking for what it is. "Pre-billboard" marked...yes. Non-marked?....no.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    +1 on that. Too many collectors who came onboard post-1980's fail to recognise that marking for what it is. "Pre-billboard" marked...yes. Non-marked?....no.
    Actually, you both have it backwards! It's a British EXPORT mark!

What other guns were on that table and what were some of the prices if you remember. I've been to that show a few times but there were usually only a few milsurp rifles there, not many, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    Actually, you both have it backwards! It's a British EXPORT mark!
    It was applied in the UK prior to exportation to the US...in compliance with US import laws. So does it really make a difference?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    What other guns were on that table and what were some of the prices if you remember. I've been to that show a few times but there were usually only a few milsurp rifles there, not many, Ray
    I didn't attend but heard that there were a large number of military rifles for sale for VERY reasonable prices, mostly SMLEs, Mausers, etc. Needless to say the table(s) looked like the Christmas sale at Macys. However, word got out that they sold a rifle to a non-member (a real no-no at WAC gunshows) and they were expelled from the show.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis