Aligater Guest

Default The handguard rattles...fix?

I had a new stock (raw). Rick Borkey made it pretty, but I have an old handguard that's ugly and rattles something awful...I've heard that you put it on a certain size socket and hit the flange with a chisle and hammer does that sound right? Thanks,
    Aligater

No it doesn't as you can snap off part or all of the metal. Gently bend up the metal tab a little at a time to take up the space or use a spacer of some kind between the metal and the barrel. Some have used a small piece of leather and some have used a small piece of brass or copper. I have cut a .45 acp case and used it as a shim with a bit of glue to hold it against the metal on the hand guard. Worked out ver well.

Most folks go with a very gentle upward bending of the corners of the tab. Go slowly or you may break the rivets.

I used Elmer's Wood Glue to fix mine. Just put a thick layer of glue on where it hits the barrel. After it gets hard, you can shape it to fit with sand paper. I did that over 15 years ago, and it is still my best shooting carbine.

5. Default

I gently bend up the lips slowley and some time if need be "restake" the rivets again very gently to take out any slack.