Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My brief encounter with two amazing WWII rifles

Seeing Tuna's comment in another thread, about the first production Winchester carbine being S/N 1000000, reminded me of when my family (my grandfather, actually) owned that very gun for a short time. He earned it as payment for some landscaping work he did for a widow somewhere in or around New Haven, CT. Actually, she paid him with two rifles (the second was a very special Garand, as you can see), in a wood presentation box. My grandfather, an airman in WWII, didn't know much about these weapons. But my uncle did, and soon afterward they sold them at a gun show to a collector. This was in 1986, when I was 16. I remember being allowed to hold each of them before they were sold. Here are the photos they took of the serial numbers. These photos were the only things on the table they rented at the gun show where they were sold. I figured some of you on this forum might be interested in these pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carbination; 10-30-2013 at 07:00.

It's too bad you don't have those today. Really treasures to hold.

Wow, that is cool. Must have been some special landscaping work.

It sure is great to see both of these. Notice the Winchester proof stamp on the bevel of the carbine. It was not used for very long. Thank you for showing them to us.

Any idea where these guns are today?

6. Default

I understand why my grandfather decided to sell them, but MAN I wish he hadn't! I have no idea where they are today, except that I'm sure they're in a private (and very wealthy) collector's vault. I do know that Winchester's M1 carbine #1,000,001 (the second off the line) is in the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, in Cody WY. I'd like to visit it someday.

If my eyes aren't messing with me, do I see flush nut sights on the Garand?

8. Default

There's a border around the picture that is almost the same tone as the background, and I think that border is cutting off the sides of the rear sight, making it look flush.

No its a flush nut. The "educational" order was finished long before lock bars were introduced. The rifle also sports the double keystone springs, and no trap RS/WRA stock. Kevin

By all means go to the BB Center, it is a "experience" in American History. Plan for at least 2 days to see most of it.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH