Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

This is amazing. Did your Grandfather say who the widow was? Any guesses from the forum? Near New Haven, CT. Maybe the widow of the former WRA president, CEO or CoB during wartime production? Amazing.

2. Default

I think you're right about that, Chip. My grandfather (who died in 1988), said she was the widow of an Olin or Winchester executive. I don't know which, or exactly who. Now that I'm a collector of these beautiful rifles, I must tell you that I often daydream about what it would be like to still have these in my family.

3. Default

For what it is worth, I own both of these rifles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AZCraig View Post
    For what it is worth, I own both of these rifles.
    welcome to the boards,

and please, if you have time, a thread for each w/ pics would be appreciated by many here

Default Winchester s/n 100001

I have a question for AZ Craig, ever since Scott Duff published the photo of Winchester 100001 in his
    book on the WW2 M1 rifle (early 1990's), collectors have speculated on a certain part in this rifle. The
    photos just do not show the type of slide on the follower.

It is believed that Winchester used the early slide with the 45 degree nose and 20 degree back.

My photo shows all three types of slides used on Winchester followers. Any information you could
    provide would be appreciated by the advanced Winchester collectorsP1010011.jpg

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I have a question for AZ Craig, ever since Scott Duff published the photo of Winchester 100001 in his
    book on the WW2 M1 rifle (early 1990's), collectors have speculated on a certain part in this rifle. The
    photos just do not show the type of slide on the follower.

It is believed that Winchester used the early slide with the 45 degree nose and 20 degree back.

My photo shows all three types of slides used on Winchester followers. Any information you could
    provide would be appreciated by the advanced Winchester collectorsP1010011.jpg
    Here is a pic of the slide. I have a ton of info on both the carbine and the M1 (including the bill of sale from the widow to Robert Smith dated 1980) but not a lot of time to gather it all up right now.

IMG_0525.jpg

Thank you for posting the photo. I have a copy of the first data sheet made by Scott Duff who sent it
    to me before the book was completed.

Many advanced Winchester collectors thought that the Springfield revision 2 unmarked follower and slide
    were manufactured by Winchester in the first Educational Order rifles and your excellent photo confirms
    it. RCS

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

RCS..I saw those two at a show in East Hartford, CT ( High School gym, Glastonbury, CT., try that nowadays!).