Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Serial # Springfield 1922 MI (MII)

HI,
    Rimfirecentral member suggested I post this over here. I just bought a Springfield Armory 1922 MI (MII) in an auction. It has the tapered sporter barrel with blueing. I have not really run across this serial number type before (not an expert) so when I posted at RFC it was suggested I try here. So the serial number is 607.B. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. It looks like the right stock but it does not have the barrel band on the fore end of the stock and no finger grooves either.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hddriver1; 10-29-2013 at 06:59.

Blog Entries

hddriver1, Your rifle was assembled in 1926 as a 1922M1 Issue Type rifle. The original barrel would have been dated 25 or 26. In 1935 or later it was upgraded to 1922MII by replacement of the bolt and magazine with the M2 type. When that was done the additional I would have been stamped after the model number and a B would have been stamped after the serial number. If the bolt presently in the rifle was installed by Springfield Armory or an arsenal it would have the sn of the rifle etched on the bottom of the bolt. Don't be surprised if the bolt number does not match the rifle sn. About half the Springfield .22's I see have mismatched bolts. The metal appears to be refinished and the stock is an aftermarket one. The stock looks good and hopefully is well fitted. The correct magazine for your rifle would have a small M2 stamped on the top left side. The barrel looks to be the standard 1922 series contour.
    Last edited by Herschel; 10-30-2013 at 03:01.

Herschel did not mean to say they replaced the reciever .
    Chris

4. Default thank you

Thank you for the quick response. I didn't figure he was telling me the receiver was changed. I do find it interesting that they switched to the M2 magazine. I was, of course, hoping it was a little closer to the original manufacturers date with a 607 serial number. I though I read that in the beginning the rifle was blued, not parkerized. But that's ok, I bought it to teach my son to shoot and to hand it down to him when he is older, not to make money on it. thank you Herschel for all the information.
    Pat

5. Default

Herschel,
    Did a little research and if the barrel is marked '25 than that would make it a first year issue, correct? Too bad it has been messed with, re blued and a different stock. I figured it was a different stock because it's the Monte Carlo type. I have not gotten my hands on it for inspection yet. Some of the pictures I looked at have a nice fit on the stock. I think it is an older stock though, maybe the 60's? Oh well, my son will have fun learning to shoot with it. I probably over paid for it but it's the value of enjoyment for me, not the resale value. My wife doesn't see it that way LOL.

Blog Entries

Pat, I have corrected the error in my previous post in which I said the receiver was changed. They changed the bolt, magazine and often the stock to the M2 type. The M2 bolt is designed to work with the M2 magazine. The M2 magazine extends slightly higher into the receiver to bring the cartridge more inline with the chamber when it is stripped from the magazine. The 1922M1 rifles were blued when new. The finish on your rifle just doesn't look like the original blue. It may be the lighting of the photo that makes it look that way. When the Springfield .22's, all variations, came from SA as new items the bolt well (round channel the bolt travels in) were left in the white. If the bolt well on your rifle is in the white it is strong evidence the metal finish is original. All it would take to return your rifle to original configuration is a 1922M1 stock and barrel band. Since your rifle has been upgraded to 1922MII, an M2 stock would also be correct for it.

According to Brophy, 149 1922M1 rifles were made in 1925. He says 5,733 were made in 1926. That is how I calculated a mfg date of 1926 for your rifle.
    Last edited by Herschel; 10-30-2013 at 03:17.

Hddriver1,for what it's worth here is s new posting on a stock.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=120650
    Charles

8. Default

Charles,
    This is a stock for a later M2 which is in very poor condition. Trying to get this rifle back to as issued would not be possible, so this is a shooter. l Hershcel, I have an early 1922M1 issue rifle with a SN of around 650. Barrel is dated for 1925. Original configuration including trap in butt.

Yes, thank you.
    Just thought he might like that m22 stock for the money.

Charles

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mannparks View Post
    Yes, thank you.
    Just thought he might like that m22 stock for the money.

Charles
    Charles,
    I would buy it but all my money went to buying the rifle, I'll have to wait a bit to get it.
    Pat