Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm afraid that alot of new-be's that come on these forums and ask 'how did I do' want to hear allot of reasurance and praise on how good they did, not what has been said here. Doubt he will ever post here again.

I'm sorry, but am not going to gush over a problem gun, by lying about it, just to make someone "feel good". There is way too much of that sort of psychobabble going on in society right now as it is. One earns their kudos by making wise decisions, not by looking for a pat on their head. What earthly purpose does that serve! They will find out sooner or later - perhaps soon enough (as I suspect may occur in this case) to get an adjustment from the seller.

I DO always try to be polite and respectful, and always mention the good side - they're ALL fun shooters, if that is all one is looking for.

I also spend a LOT of time helping to educate, as best I can, those who may read these pages before they spend their money.

This particular gentleman has not reposted here, but we have had a most friendly dialogue on the KCA site.

It is my intent to continue to call 'em as I see 'em.

To any "newbies" reading this - do your homework BEFORE you buy!!!!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-31-2013 at 07:47.

I am with Dick on this 100%. Should we all Say WOW that is a Beautiful rifle when you can clearly see the front end was put back onto a previously Sportereized stock? Poorly colored wood and ill fitting hand guard besides a horrible bore that he speaks of. This rifle is worth no more than $40.00 at best. To think those telling the truth are wrong is a horrible way to spend your life and it will be a rough journey when reality finally hits. Rick B
    Last edited by Rick B; 10-31-2013 at 06:57. Reason: Spelling error

On Tuesday at 6:20 PM, I PM'd the poster and told him what I thought was wrong with his rifle which was everything that had been pointed out by everyone else on this forum as well as the KCA. No response back but I'm glad to see that he's continued communicating on the KCA where he's getting good advice. If I were him (hoping he reads this), I'd forget about trying to fix or improve the rifle. He can't make it right for the money he's already spent on it. He needs to go back and either get the other rifle IF its legitimate (take photos and post them for advice) or reverse the trade and spend his money on something he's familiar with. There are Much better Krag's on GunBroker for less money.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-31-2013 at 08:33.

You all are confused on my meaning. My first line in my post was a statement of fact, not to mean that is what should have been said. I did not say you should lie about it and say it was a good buy. But to use words like 'been taken in', 'sharp operator', 'he got took', 'was taken', and a long lecture on how to be a smart collector, etc. is a bit much. Makes the guy feel really stupid! Tell the truth but "the facts, just the facts", and some helpful info on how to remedy the situation would be nice. Just my opinion!
    Last edited by dave; 10-31-2013 at 10:07.

Hello Everyone,

Well good news. I contacted the shop where I bought this gun from and they said they are more than happy to have me return it and trade it for the other 1898 Krag rifle they have.

My Poyer book showed up yesterday, and that coupled with everyone's great advice and comments here will be a big help with I inspect the other Krag. I will make sure the stock is one piece, and that the handguard is the correct - it also had the M1901 sight on it. I guess there is no guarantee that it will be any better than this one but I will find out.

I do appreciate everyone's comments - I know they are to be taken constructively. Thanks too Fred for the PM. I do feel a bit foolish for buying something I wasn't familiar enough with. I just have not seen that many Krags before and I jumped at the chance to own one.

I hope to do the swap tomorrow after work. I'll be sure to post photos here - I hope it is more original and not molested like this one. Thanks to you guys, I'll be better able to tell! I also post this message at the KCA Forums.

More on this saga in a few days.

-Derek

I understood what you meant. I was just explaining that after I'd sent him the PM with the information of what wasn't right about his rifle, the gentleman then had gone on to the other site and sought further advice to learn more about it, which is good.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-31-2013 at 10:43.

Great Derek! If you could, take some photos of the rear sight and hand guard, the whole rifle, the serial number on the side plate and of any stampings behind the trigger guard and also on the left side of the wrist. We'll run through the pictures and give you our impressions of what it is. I'm Really Glad that the dealer was decent about it all.

Fred

9. Default

Hoorah!

And, since he's shot it, he can see if the rifle swapped for shoots any better. To this non-collector, that's what matters most.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson