Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default My New Krag - 1898 Rifle

Hello,

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on an un-sporterized 1898 Krag rifle last week. Attached are some photos:

And some more detail shots:

I am so excited to finally own a Krag. The bore is very dirty, I've put about 50 patches through it so far. I do see rifling, but I need to scrub it some more. It also looks like I have tree different colors of wood?

All in all, I am quite pleased. Thanks for looking.

-Derek

Would it be OK to inquire as to how much you paid, and if a lot, whether you have any recourse against the seller?

I ask that because I fear - primarily on the basis of the wood, which you clearly saw, you may have been the victim of fraud, or at least have been taken in by the sales pitch of a "sharp operator".

I WISH you guys would ask BEFORE you buy!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-29-2013 at 11:23.

Did you mean to say DE-SPORTERIZED??

Looks like the forearm was replaced, and the fit of the handguard reminds me of a reproduction I once returned. Hmm, a 1901 sight in a modified 98/02 handguard. But still, just fine for shooting.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

A little dark walnut stain would be nice on that replacement forearm. I might also distress it a bit.

6. Default

I like restoring them and thousands are. Stain and oil. Then clean, shoot and repeat.

It depends on what he paid. If he paid $400-450 or less, a decent deal. Anything above that, (and the flaws are as suggested), he got "took"
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I like restoring them too. I even had a forearm made from European walnut for one. (Got to get those together some day.) But people don't wish to pay as much for a shooter as they would a collectable firearm.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    It depends on what he paid. If he paid $400-450 or less, a decent deal. Anything above that, (and the flaws are as suggested), he got "took"
    In his earlier thread of "Thinking about picking up an 1898 rifle - what to look for?", the poster, Viking73 said that the rifle was priced at $850.00. So I think that he was certainly taken. He sounds like a friendly, trusting and likeable fellow who, like so many others, should've done his homework first to determine just what it was he was spending his money on before he spent it. How many times have we all seen someone buy a rifle and then come on one of the forums and ask how they did, what have they got, did they spend too much for it or did they get a real bargain? For their own well being, it would be so much better if these good people would study up on the subject first, which includes handling a Lot of such rifles at gun shows and in collections. Then after really reading up on the subject, handling and looking at and comparing many rifles at gun shows with what they've learned from books and pictures, and after asking a lot of questions here on these forums, then they wouldn't have to ask what they were looking at or if they spent too much or just what it was that they'd bought for many hundreds of dollars. That's sort of like a guy saying that he was planning to go out and get a wife pretty soon and he asks what sort of wife he should get. Or that he just got hitched and wants opinions on if he did any good. Well, when they spend good money on a particular type of rifle, without knowing anything about that type of rifle, you've got to wonder, why are they even interested in buying and owning the rifle in the first place. It seems to me that buying a rifle is a very personal thing and when done, is supposed to be based upon what the buyer has wanted, based upon diligent research, searched for all over and for so very long a time and finally found in his long quest. Nobody else can tell a guy what he should like or look for or collect. A guy ought to know what he wants and what he's looking at. If he doesn't, why on earth is he spending his hard earned money on something?
    The poster shouldn't get his feeling hurt by what I've said here. He should understand that I'm saying these things to him and all others in his situation because I've been there over 40 years before. I don't want to see anybody get taken or to spend their money on a Pig in a Poke. I'm glad that he posted here and now he can take the information that he's been offered and will go and demand his money back from the seller. He should keep posting here and asking questions and learning about the subject and eventually, he will most certainly know just what it is he's wanting, looking at and what he's buying.

Fred

Viking73, did you ever get your money back from the seller? Please tell us what happened because we're here to assist you and we want to know what's going on!

Fred