Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamilton 27

You said it was chambered for short and long, long case and LR case is the same. A LR will chamber, may force the bullet a 'lil deeper which may raise pressure and yes it was made when 22 ammo was probably much milder, and you never know what a kid will try no matter what he is told!
    PS: A 'long' is a LR case with a 22 short bullet, very inaccurate and useless round.
    Last edited by dave; 11-05-2013 at 05:46.

Yes, the case is the same size, but the bullet is longer ( by quite a bit ) in the LR round. The LR requires a longer chamber than the 22 long requires. 22 long is no longer manufactured except for a commonly found low pressure round made in Mexico, 22 Super Colibri, perfect low pressure round for this rifle. That round duplicates the factory OAL for a 22 long. I am going to cut my own chamber, and can cut the chamber short so the LR will never chamber in this gun, easy to do. Cutting a short chamber will only allow 22 short and 22 long to chamber and close the action. Guess this project is definitely more trouble than the rifle is worth. More about preserving a working history for the future.

Relining with the 1-20 liner chambered for .22 Long and being careful how you feed it is the right thinking. There are tons of old .22's out there that are safe if used with standard velocity ammo. I have a lot of Stevens boys rifles that I only shoot standard velocity long rifles in and a few that I only use standard velocity shorts or CB's in. As far as a gun for my grandchild to shoot on a regular business I would look for a current production Savage model 30 that is a modern day version of the Stevens Favorite.

The liner idea didn't work out. OD of the liner from Brownell's is .312. After drilling all of the stuff out of that barrel I found I needed one that was about .460. Lucky enough, I paid a visit to a local gun store, and sure enough, he had a good 1/20" twist .22 barrel laying in a pile of parts that I got for $20. Some turning to fit the ID of the tube, turn off some of the .22 LR chamber so it will only chamber .22 long, and we are good to go. Should finish this one sometime Monday. No, the grandson won't shoot this one regularly, he has a nice little Chipmunk single shot already that he uses often. Not only will this one be safe to shoot, but safe to pass on as well. In fact, with the new all steel barrel, think it's safer to fire than when it left the factory new. Grandson will get to fire it and see how kids had it 100 years ago and what a rifle that costs $1.50 looked like.
    Chris

Project turned out nice, you can't tell about the new barrel from the outside except the crown on the end of the barrel had to be different. Even shoots well with 22 shorts hitting pop cans regularly @25 yards or so. Can't recommend this job to anyone that doesn't have a lathe at home. Sure the grandson will like it but it was much more work and time than the rifle is worth. The only positive is I preserved some working history.
    Chris

Ummmm....my local gun shop has had stocks of .22 shorts and longs all during this shortage . I'm guessing CCI is still making longs ?
    Chris

I've never seen them, but that sure doesn't imply they aren't out there. Going to a gun show in Reno this Friday and will look for a couple of bricks of shorts or longs there, see what happens. This kid can go through ammo fast,
    Chris

I'll keep an eye out for them this weekend at the gun show, pick up a couple of bricks if I find them. Thanks,
    Chris