Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default found a Webley Mk VI (attention Barryeye)

I have been searching high and low for a Webley MkVI that wasn't overpriced, mismatched and cut down.

I found one today at the Tyler gunshow in fair condition. It was marked $250. Cut down cylinder for .45ACP, brown Bakelite grips had a chunk out of the bottom on one side and it has a broken spring on the thumblatch for the break over. Guy agreed to $200 and I was happy to get it.

Oh, Did I mention it is NZ marked?

I think for my first one I did pretty darn well, but no idea what the value should be. Only the second NZ marked weapon I have seen.

I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Oh, 1919 production with a 9/38 stamp to the rear under the hammer.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Sorry, it was dark when I was checking markings, 9/39 stamp.

Anyone care to give a rough estimate of the value.

The barrel latch spring can be found at www.midwayusa.com
    item 625-719 for the .455
    and
    item 657-068 for the .38
    Of course they are not original but they do work

Thanks John, I appreciate it. I hadn't even had time to look yet.

Just a small add. Buy 45Auto rim brass instead of .45ACP. You can use the same dies to load it as you would use for 45 ACP. You just need a different shell holder. The other plus is you don't need those half-moon clips.
    .455 ammo has a muzzle velocity of 620FPS where .45ACP has a higher muzzle velocity. Just makes it more pleasent to shoot

John, would this conversion have been done by the military in NZ? seems reasonable to have been done in 39 with a war on and 45ACP being a more universal cartridge by then.

8. Default

The conversions were performed by the importers in the 1950's - 1960's. Made the revolver easier to sell on the U.S. surplus market when chambered for the cheap & plentiful .45 A.C.P. at the time. Sadly, the conversions probably cuts the collector value in half today. You did well though; The converted revolvers seem to go for $400 - $500 in Florida.

I’d like to wade in here and give an expert “kiwi” opinion on this but I can’t. Have lived in this country for 40 of my 65 years but know very little about NZ marked arms. Collecting NZ marked arms is very popular here and as a result there is a premium on them. I let the local purists go for them.
    Whilst I am interested in pistols I am only licensed to collect long arms and frankly I am not in a financial position to enter that expensive field. However I find this thread interesting and will bring it to the attention of some of my pistol collecting mates.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

I found that if you use rimmed 45 cases you might want to raise the gun up each time you shoot when using the recommended light loads of powders like Unique so the powder rests against the primer, if so you will get better and more consistent burning of the powder and better accuracy. Those cases are much longer then the 455 cases. Possibly some wadding/cotton packing put in the case to hold the powder against the primer would work. Not sure if that would be ok in a revolver but don't see why not, Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 10-31-2013 at 04:16.