A few more pictures of that rifle, as you requested
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default 1909 M1903 Springfield

A few more pictures of my 1909 rifle.

3. Default 1909 M1903 Springfield

More pics of my 1909 Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    A few more pictures of that rifle, as you requested
    Wow Promo, that rifle looks like it's been in a gun cabinet or a museum for over a century! I wonder where its been? It's absolutely beautiful. Rick is so right about those pre war 03's being put together well. I'm surprised that you chose to gently lay your rifle onto the rocks. I'd be scared to death that It'd mark up the rifle. You're a braver man than I am Gunga Din.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-01-2013 at 12:28.

Wow! Just like Promo's rifle, yours looks absolutely Mint! An early one at that with the solid had guard too. The edges on the stocks of your two rifles are absolutely sharp and unworn. Man, the finish on all metal parts is perfect too. it's as if yours and Promo's rifles were taken right off of the assembly line and laid into a velvet lined box and the lid closed up for over a century. They just don't come any better than that! After many years of collecting, I've got only three rifles of my own, although all of WWI era vintage, that are as sharp and fresh looking. When I saw each one, I just had to have it. It was a drive that I couldn't resist. Isn't it grand to be able to hold one and examine it up close and appreciate just how well the quality is on such a rifle?
    Last edited by Fred; 11-01-2013 at 12:29.

Although (to paraphrase Will Rogers) I haven't met a Springfield (or Rock Island) I didn't like, the pre-WWI M1903s are still my favorites. The workmanship and fit are almost perfect, even on well-worn examples. In my opinion, the closest thing you'll find to a work of art you'll find on a military rifle (although I admit the very early Mausers come close).

Here's my "contribution", a very rare 1915 National Match, which I picked up about four years ago, thinking I'd bought a nice service rifle. #605,178. John says one of about a dozen that are in private hands and in original condition.

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Man, If I'd have come across that rifle for sale at a gun show, I'd have been tempted to sell my vehicle right there in the parking lot and take a cab home with the rifle cradled in my arms. It's nothing short of incredible and awe inspiring to look at Rick. Again... Wow!
    Last edited by Fred; 11-07-2013 at 01:05.

Sometimes I wish we all lived close by - it would be awesome to have a "M1903 display to end M1903 display"!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Sometimes I wish we all lived close by - it would be awesome to have a "M1903 display to end M1903 display"!!
    Yeahbutt, you live on the wrong side of the planet on this side of the planet !!!

LOL!!
    --C.S. Lewis