Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Thanks for all of the replies.

The rifle shoots OK, but nothing fantastic. At 50 yards, M2 ball shoots 3-4" or so. M72 Match is much better at 2-2.5" An experimental handload shot about 2.5" with 150 gr Sierra SP.

I will try the hot wash with soapy water and see what comes out, brush it with Hoppes and follow up with JB.

Good read on the chrome-lined M14 barrels. It reminded me of the days shooting a DCM loaner NM M14.

2. Default

The hot-soapy water yielded very little.

I decided to try Shooter's Choice instead of Hoppes. Wet patches were pretty clean, so I hit is a few strokes with a bronze brush. The next wet patch was quite black. I'll keep on this routine for a while and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    The hot-soapy water yielded very little.

I decided to try Shooter's Choice instead of Hoppes. Wet patches were pretty clean, so I hit is a few strokes with a bronze brush. The next wet patch was quite black. I'll keep on this routine for a while and see what happens.
    Between brushing with bronze, shoot it. Brush, shoot, brush, shoot, and repeat. Sometimes it works.

Ed

Try full strength Simple Green® with hot water and a bronze brush.
    You will be surprised at the amount of junk that comes out.

D.
    Last edited by Dad; 10-28-2013 at 08:49.

I have a Krag that was parkerized. I now have around 400rds through it and the barrel has turned out to be pretty shiney and smooth. I originally thought it was pitted in the middle, but I see no trace of the pitting now. If parkerizing is what you have, it'll wear out.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I have seen a lot of US Military fireams that were re-parkerized and the plugs leaked the parkerization fluid into the bore--FWIW i have never seen a U.S. Military re-park with this problem-- usually these firearms were refinished after they left the military stores or were refinished in a foreign country like the early Blue Sky Korean imports!! Some that I looked at appeared to not even have had the bore plugged when refinished but most of those guns had poor or junk barrels on them anyway-- Typical Blue Sky M-1 Garand had a barrel with a 6 or 7 TE and a 35 caliber muzzle and were stove pipe condition inside- however maybe the people who brought them in figured most would be re-barreled anyway so why should they take the time to plug the barrels before sandblasting and refinishing-- I concur with the JB Bore paste but don't leave Shooters Choice in a bore for more than the recommended time- or your barrel may suffer from ammonia related pitting!

7. Default

I have worked on two M1917 barrels that had LAYERS of fouling. I used the "Wipe-Out" Foaming Bore Cleaner, and on the worst one I found seven alternating layers of powder/copper/powder/copper/powder/etc! Wipe-Out is used by Benchrest Shooters, and will not harm the bore, no brushing. Foam it, leave it set an hour or two, push out a layer. Repeat. It is not quick on badly fouled bores, but will do no harm. A stainless brush reportedly will scratch up a barrel, but is a quick older method. If you are hoping to reclaim a good barrel, I would not use a SS brush, until I was satisfied nothing else would work. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor