Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Dark Bore- could it be Parkerized?

My Remington 1917 has me wondering. When I received it, the bore was fairly dirty. It has since been well cleaned and I have fired 200 rounds or so of full power loads. The barrel date is 9-18 and it's a 5 groove.

The bore has sharp lands and not a hint of throat or muzzle erosion. What bothers me is that the bore looks dark. Using a small flashlight sideways at the muzzle, the bore has a black/gray appearance.

Could it be Parkerizing in the bore that I see?
    Last edited by Ken in Iowa; 10-18-2013 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    My Remington 1917 has me wondering. When I received it, the bore was fairly dirty. It has since been well cleaned and I have fired 200 rounds or so of full power loads. The barrel date is 9-18 and it's a 5 groove.

The bore has sharp lands and not a hint of throat or muzzle erosion. What bothers me is that the bore looks dark. Using a small flashlight sideways at the muzzle, the bore has a black/gray appearance.

Could it be Parkerizing in the bore that I see?
    Any bore darkened by corrosion, that I've ever seen, was always pitted/frosted to some extent. If your bore doesn't show signs of pitting then I'd guess that it's possible that the barrel got dunked during the WWII rebuild program. Of course the receiver would be parked also. What does the chamber interior look like? You'd think that any finish inside a bore would be quickly eroded off by bullets being fired, but apparently not so in my experience. Back when they were selling those Turk "M38" mausers off "en masse" I bought one which, by luck, turned out to have been freshly re- barreled, but at first I thought that the barrel interior was "dark", but it turned out to be blued. I've probably put 300 rounds through it, including a bunch of that hi pressure Turk surplus, and it's still "dark" when viewed from the muzzle, but the barrel interior shines, without obvious imperfections, in a bore light. I've even held a magnifying glass to the muzzle, which allows me to see the first few inches of the bore clearly, with no sign of corrosion/erosion being evident.

3. Default

Use a Stainless steel bore brush when you clean it. Use lots of bore cleaner do not dip the brush in your bore cleaner it will contaminate it. Brush and flush I have gotten dark bores to shine. If you feel drag and roughness when brushing you have pitting. Get out all you can with the brush then use a jag and patch with bore polish compound like JB bore paste or red jewelers polish.

hot soapy water, likely used with blanks.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I bought a CMP 1917 that had a barrel that gauged as close to new, but really dark. I cleaned it, then shot it. Groups were measured in feet at 15 yards. If this is your experience, it is time for a rebarrel.

Having done some old military stuff that needed re-Parkerized I would say no. First most military barrels were chromed. You stated you have put a couple hundred rounds through it since cleaning. Even on a barrel that wasn't chromed, it will typically wear off any sloppy work and Parkerization that was in an area like that. It just will not hold up. Sorry but it is time to get a new (old) barrel. You could sleeve it and use the barrel for another project but more than likely cost more than finding a good replacement. I second the JB Bore Paste suggestion. I have clean a lot of old barrels that looked like they were beyond saving with that stuff. Just remember it is a labor of love as it will take lots of elbow grease and numerous attempts before you get it to your satisfaction.
    Last edited by mdshunter; 10-20-2013 at 09:17. Reason: added info

As far as I know the first USGI rifle barrel that is chromed on issued rifles is the M16 A1.

8. Default

The M14 had a chrome lined barrel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Garandy View Post
    The M14 had a chrome lined barrel as well.
    Are you saying ALL M-14 barrels were chromed?

10. Default

Last edited by M1Garandy; 10-22-2013 at 10:54.