Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloads

Under the conditions and circumstances described (all that was lacking were charging Indians!) a 5" group is quite commendable. Given a more favorable ambiance, one might hope to someday reach 3"

2. Default

Thanks. Atleast I am not horrible. That was a 5 shot group by the way.. I have a 1879 Buckhorn type sight on my 84'

When the sight is all the way down. It is really, really hard to see. I have not shot to 200 yards yet. But the sight does look a little easier to see at the higher settings.. I have glasses, but it is very hard to get a focus and see everything.

What I need is a peep aperture of some kind. I am thinking on a way to do something like that to the rear sight that would not be a permanent modification..Maybe make a aperature to screw in place on the Buckhorn sight with the two little existing screw holes. Or a tang sight of some kind. Some say the Buffingtons are better, but I actually find this 1879 is better for me..

I also find the trapdoor sights hard to get a decent and stable sight picture. I usually use just my elbow on the bench while sitting which helps absorb the recoil. Maybe it's the way I'm used to shouldering other rifles, both my trapdoor rifles and one carbine just feel a lot different. With sandbags it's very hard to get low enough on the stock to even align the sights much less get a good sight picture. I prefer 50 yds because bad knees keep my target setting at the shorter distance, and I aim 8-10" low to get on the paper. I don't load this ctg, and at $1.50 a shot I doubt I'll ever shoot them enough to get very comfortable or consistent. But the whomp and thud of these things is so different and fun, who cares about being good?

4. Default

Yes they are expensive rounds. I think I have it figured out at 42 cents a round reloading them. Though I will not shoot 1000s of rounds a year. It is nice to go out and Plink off 20 reloads or so for around 8.00, rather than 35.00 or 40.00 for a Factory box of 20..

It does seem like it is going to be a fun Rifle to shoot.. Most times I will not even be shooting from a bench rest. I only do that kind of shooting when I am zeroing in a scope or setting up some sights..Or want to see what a Firearms potential is after removing some of my Human error..
    Last edited by carbineone1964; 10-22-2013 at 07:23.

5. Default

I use 12.2gr of trailboss behind the lee 405 hollow bullet without a wad sized to 457 starline brass, and Federal 215 Large rifle magnum primers.
    Link to result is at
    http://www.njacc.info/images/2013/MemorialDay/MD-8.jpg
    Could do better but that takes more practice and a new eyeglass prescription!

The sights are tough, with the 1884 peep being the best but still tough for older eyes. I have a set of glasses that are ground to get a sharp front sight focus with the target in relatively good focus. It makes it possible to shoot the old timers with some expectation of accuracy. I still have a hard time with the ridiculously small notch and narrow front blade on my 1898 Krag and an even worse time on the 1868 Springfield rear v notch. It helps to blacken the blade and notch with soot and occasionally I'll paint the rear or front white (depends on the target color) to get some contrast in the notch. Seems to help.

I can't help with whitepowder loads as all I shoot are loaded with the holy black.

Jerry Liles

7. Default

I have one I shoot and the sights work very well for me on it, even with my bad eyes. My 1816 Harpers Ferry. The sights are very easy to use or I should say sight. They only have a front one

Very simple concept..

I did hit a 2 x2 foot board with the Old Gal at 100 yards one day just for a giggle..

I did put a little white paint on the front sight of the Trapdoor. It helped a little but not alot..

I may try some Black once. I looked at using trailboss. But isnt that a real slow burning powder? Thanks
    Last edited by carbineone1964; 10-22-2013 at 12:51.

8. Default

I was using a model 1884 with a buffington rear sight. The range was 100 yds. Point of aim was center visible mass using a fine sight picture with the front sight all the way down in the rear sight and off the white (as good as I could estimate 8 inches) of the target. So it was the equivalent of a head shot at 100yds with the point of aim the heart.
    Add to that it shoots about 6 inches to the right so the hold off was to the left. Some I guessed good some not as good. Any way it was fun.

http://www.njacc.info/images/2013/Me...alDay/MD-8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    The sights are tough, with the 1884 peep being the best but still tough for older eyes. I have a set of glasses that are ground to get a sharp front sight focus with the target in relatively good focus. It makes it possible to shoot the old timers with some expectation of accuracy. I still have a hard time with the ridiculously small notch and narrow front blade on my 1898 Krag and an even worse time on the 1868 Springfield rear v notch. It helps to blacken the blade and notch with soot and occasionally I'll paint the rear or front white (depends on the target color) to get some contrast in the notch. Seems to help.

I can't help with whitepowder loads as all I shoot are loaded with the holy black.

Jerry Liles
    I have surrendered on both the 1884 (Buffington) and the Krag (1901 sight) and have machined tall front sight blades (.055) replacing the GI blades. It sure does increase the satisfaction in shooting these rifles, and it is not a permanent alteration. The original blades go in the butt for future generations to restore, if they like. Neither of my rifles are highly collectible, but the shoot well...better than I do.

I'm surprised no one has brought up "barrel leading" with cast lead bullets. I would stay BELOW 1,000 fps to avoid leading. I use 20 gr of 2400 when using cast lead bullets.
    1,562 fps is way to fast for a cast lead bullet.