Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloads

1. Default Reloads

Going to make up some reloads for my Model 1884 45 70 Trapdoor. It is in great Mechanical shape so that will not be a issue.

I have a pound or so of IMR 3031 here. I am reloading them using a Lee Classic Hand loader. I have plain lead, 400 grain, flat nose bullets to use. They have a crimp groove..

The dipper that came with the kit is the 3.4 CC and that equates to 44.6 Grains of 3031 according to Lees specs...According to them that would put velocity around 1569. But they do not list a barrel length in those calculations. Mine is a Standard rifle. Not a Carbine.

I believe that is too much for a original Trapdoor. I called Hodgdon and they said they would suggest 40 grains. I am thinking closer to maybe 35 to 38 grains.

One other question. Is it necessary to use a filler with the lighter smokeless loads? I use fillers with my older Black Powder stuff with real black, but am unsure if they are needed for smokeless apps

I know the dipper may not be ideal, but if they did not work or were terribly inaccurate and killed people daily, I assume they would not be making them anymore, as the Lawsuits would abound.

Well any input from the experts would be great..Thanks
    Last edited by carbineone1964; 10-16-2013 at 04:56.

No filler needed with SMOKELESS powder.

Not in the sense that a filler (or rather no void) is required with BP, but I thought that sometimes with light charges of certain smokeless powders in a big case, that ignition was improved - and better accuracy was obtained - by using an inert filler to keep the powder against the primer?

I don't have my manuals handy but any 400 / 405 gr bullet load listed for Trapdoor Springfield with a listed velocity over 1300 FPS or so raises a flag in my mind. I think you are right in questioning their load recommendation. Your suggested range of 35 to 38 grains is the way to go. Try 10 of each and see what gives decent accuracy. Good luck!

5. Default

I even looked on Hodgdons website myself. And they list 45.5 grains of IMR3031 in the Trapdoor section at around 1537 FPS.

Something seems screwy here. I surely would not think they would list excessive loads on the Hodgdon website..That would seem crazy, especially when dealing with a Antique type Firearm that is over a 100 years old..

However they do claim only a 17,300 CUP, with that powder load. Which sure seems well within a safe margin for the Trapdoor..

That Hodgdon's load could be for a modern 45-70? Altho messy, I always load black powder.
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

7. Default

No it is for a listed load for a trapdoor. I even talked to a guy at Hodgdon personally..

Black is very hard to get around here. Ordering online is ridiculous with the minimums and the outrageous shipping charges.

I have a couple pounds of Geox, but it is reserved for my Harpers Ferry Musket. Flintlocks are pretty much required to use Black Powder for ignition reasons.. Thanks
    Last edited by carbineone1964; 10-17-2013 at 06:16.

I`m using 34g Reloder "7" behind a Rem 405g 458 dia JSPFN bullet & pushing around 1500 fps. Been doing it for over 3 years & no problems.

9. Default

Loaded up 5 with 36 grains. Shot them off a rest at 100 yards. Very hard to see those dang Trapdoor sights with may aging eyes. I think considering my ailing eyesight. The fact that they were shot rather hastily from a crappy rest and was my first attempt at 100 yards. Other times I shot it was just functional checks at a close range.

I think it did pretty good. Right at a 4 to 5 inch group. I know I can do better taking my time and such. It was rather brisk out and I hate cold..

I was really even glad I hit the paper at all. That was a big concern to start with. All the holes are perfectly round. So definitely no tumblers.

So at 100 yards what is a good group size in your opinions? It was pretty cool, hearing that big thump come back at you from the plywood... Thanks
    Last edited by carbineone1964; 10-21-2013 at 05:56.

My 1884 runs 4 inch groups on average with non paper patched 500 grain softies pushed with Pyrodex.