Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hang it on your fire place spit, turn it slow until it gets that well done crusty look. That will give it the character of a well used WW1 rifle used in the trenches. After that is done you sit down and put on paper a really nice BS story to talk about with the stupid and gullible. Something like it's Sgt. York's long lost Enfield rifle.
    Last edited by Weasel; 10-15-2013 at 09:05.

I was just being onery Duane. Actually, I hadn't expected any actual advice in answer to my facitious question. It's kinda scary that I did. OMG ...
    However, that's why we communicate through this forum. To learn from each other and share ideas. I'm glad that I had a chance to iron out the issue of when not to refinish something. Maybe somewhere down the line, it'll save a highly collectible firearm from being ruined.
    Anyway, I'm glad that some of you guys like the rifle. Perhaps the reason it sat so long without any interest was because its type isn't widely known yet. Maybe that's a good thing. This time I was able to run across it while searching for unmolested 03's and I received some help in identifying it for what it was. Heck, Flayderman's doesn't even cover the 1919 or the 1920 National Match rifle's yet. I hope that if anyone comes across others in similar condition or otherwise, they'll not try to do a Bubba on it. Im convinced that scenario is a distinct possibility.
    I wanted to share the photos of it as I saw them on GunBroker. It's amazing to me that in 94 years, the rifle has somehow been used very little if at all and has escaped damage. In a way, I bought it to insure that it stays that way for sometime longer. The rifle needs to be in the care of someone who appreciates and marvels at its clean and unspoiled features. Thus, the point of my apparently not so obvious jest. Sigh...

The sheen on that rifle is what you get with many, many years of appling linseed oil, and handling the rifle.

Thats a beautiful rifle, perfect candidate to be welded up into a drill rifle and chrome plated for parade use, then give it to an ROTC Unit to smash the stock to bits so they can get a plastic replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hi Pelago! Say, I was just Joking about removing the original finish and patina from the stock on this rifle. There's nothing wrong with it now and the rifle is worth substantially more as a collectable with it than if it were to be removed. It's the original finish that was put on the stock and it's just darkened with age. This is highly desirable on all historical firearms. This finish on the wood indicates that the rifle has never been worked over and as you can see, all of the edges are extremely sharp and defined. Any cleaning of the rifle, except for gently wiping it down with a clean cloth, would compromise its value by stripping it of the original and well preserved surface, wearing down the wood grain and destroying the integrity of the rifle forever. Original finishes are too often removed by well intentioned but misinformed people who are trying to improve the looks of a firearm. You cannot fix something that isn't broken. Thanks for the good information on wood finishes though! LOL

Fred
    probably true, however you might want to see if you can remove some of the imbedded dirt and that can be done simply by 1/2 linseed oil and 1/2 mineral spirits and a good NON METALLIC SCRUB brush, i have taken many many stocks that were so dark that they were black but other than that looked clean as far as the dinks went, scrubbing with this mixture loosens up top layer and you can remove the dirt that is also in that layer, and the result is somewhat brighter with the rich luster of the walnut coming thru again, and the mineral spirit combo linseed oil does nothing detrimental at all
    nice rifle

Default The rifle needs a better finish

Hello Fred, I am a long time lurker and first time poster on the 1903 forum as I follow the garand forum. I would do what most garand experts do and remove that old natural patina and finish and apply a coat of BLO and Tung oil to really make the grain stand out. Notice the outstanding finish I applied to the 03's below. I got the mixture from an expert online who said he had tried it once before and I think he was spot on. When I bought these 2 rifles, like you I bought them off of the web from a lady who had just been divorced. I thought the top rifle was cool because it has some kind of sporter stock on it. During the sanding process I left her husbands initials on it because I thought it was kind of clever how she had it stamped AAX to remind her of her "X". His name was Allen Ashford. I was really disappointed in the second lower rifle because I wanted a rifle like my dad and grandpa carried in WWII and WWI. Unfortunately it must have been a practice or training rifle because it was made by Remington and I assume all the pieces were too because they have an R or some little numbers, etc.. geez I wanted springfield like my dad's and SGT York carried (I read it on the internet). The finish on it looked like your rifle but it was in better condition because it did not have that little chip by the butt plate ( I think you should apply wood filler). Once I sanded off the, ( I guess her other boyfriends initials ,RLB?), and the red painted stripe that some knucklehead painted on it and applied that mix that I found on the internet it looks like a champ. I removed the sights so I can put on a scope or peep sight like my garand... I'll tap it first with my dremel tool to see what I like better. If you go ahead and take some of the advice I've read earlier in the post/thread, I think you can really make the wood grain pop and stand out like it should. If not, I would follow that JB fellow's advice and use 100 dollars bills, because we all know that when it comes to getting a deal, Dead President's talk. I understand, to make my effort really stand out on the forum, I should have used an afghan like that retired librarian uses, but it is starting to get cold up here and my wife wouldn't give hers up. Oh one last question, if I put a scope on it vice the peep sight would it still be considered a national match? Good luck with your refinishing and restoration project. I look forward to seeing the finished product. I bet you can't wait to get a couple hundred rounds of ammo thru it. I've got a bunch of old ammo from the 1900's through WWII that I found laying around my dad's house that I'll send you if finding ammo is tough wherever you live. Most of them still go bang and few of them catch fire and burn all the way to the target. It really helps when sighting them in.. or during deer season... if not send it to that guy in Denver if he didn't get flooded out.. he seams (sp?) to work on rifles if you can't get it to shoot straight.. I may send him my bolt to work on, if my propane torch does not get hot enough if I decide to go with the scope on..
    Regards,
    CC03
    unemployed and out of work worker, Department of Redundancy Department
    disclaimer, at no time were said rifles damaged during the process. Each rifle was received in the condition as seen (at reasonable prices) .. some/most grammatical and spelling errors intentional... oh; Fred, outstanding rifle.. thanks for sharing it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOLOL! Thanks Colonel, I really enjoyed your post! You've a fantastic and dry sense of humor, like mine. I salute you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by CptEnglehorn View Post
    Thats a beautiful rifle, perfect candidate to be welded up into a drill rifle and chrome plated for parade use, then give it to an ROTC Unit to smash the stock to bits so they can get a plastic replacement.
    Yes, yes! I quite agree!

I've just found out from the seller that the rifle had been brought into his gun store recently by a frequent customer of his. The customer told him that he'd received the rifle from a relative about 40 years ago. That's all that I know of it. No names were asked for and none given as yet. I'm hesitant to even bring it up any further with the seller until he receives his Bank Check and I have the rifle in my hands. As yet, the seller, good man that he is, doesn't know that the rifle is anything more than, as he calls it, "a Mint Condition 1903". I'll have it soon and will photograph it well from all of the important angles to post.
    I wonder if the "relative" from whom the owner received the rifle was a competitor at Camp Perry or if he was just a fellow who bought the rifle because he liked it? Anyway, I'll have it soon and will be it's curator and owner for awhile yet until I probably give it away along with my other 03's to someone who deserves to be their next owner sometime far down the road. Nobody in my family has the slightest interest or knowledge in firearms, least of all in collectable 1903 Springfield's. But, except for my wife and two children, they're all democrats. So they'd never receive anything from me anyway.

Fred that is really a beautiful rifle, I might be wrong, but from the photos, it looks like a 30's style handguard it's wearing. If so, it must have been an advantage in sighting to put a later one on it. Ray