Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    . I have a friend who is a top vintage rifle competitor. He was shooting cast bullets in it and dented a chamber, ruined a fine shooting original but it can be rebarreled. Never fully explained, loose gas check or a metallurgic defect in the barrel seem the most likely explanations....
    You mean he "ringed" the chamber? Fairly common occurance if he was using Dacron filler or "wads" in a bottleneck case. That's also Numba Ten.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Bob,

That truly bites. Better luck next time.

jn

Post mortem.

First pic, fired cases, bases. Left, Sierra 95 grain MK, right Winchester 100 grain PP. Both with 25 grains 4895. Note that the primer in the 95 SMK case isn't even flattened. Primer from 100 PP case is gone.

Fired cases, side. Top, 95 SMK, bottom 100 PP. base of 100 PP case is .050" larger than unfired cases.

Note cracks in the feed ramp:

Bad ju-ju.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

It's enough to make a grown man cry Bob!

Bob, at that charge level, it just shouldn't have done that! 34gr was a COW suggested load for 2680fps/w100gr. But I've followed discussions on what was causing some blow ups with Swedish mausers. It was fellows trying to take it easy on the old iron. Seems it's happened to several of them. Smaller than normal charge, even of a medium burning powder, long throat, in some cases one that's rough, jacketed bullets, and at least once a thick jacketed bullet was involved (Swift). Things go ok until the bullet stops for just a millisecond upon hitting the throat and acts like a bore obstruction, then pressures skyrocket. In some cases the rifle is wrecked, a classic blowup. I believe there was even some factory ammo recalled because of the phenomena. What kinda shape was the throat of your rifle in? Looks to me like that thing was all too close to letting go. I'd call that escaping by a hair's breadth! Sure glad it went no further.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 10-12-2013 at 09:00.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

You're right, Bob, 4895 is known for being very stable in reduced charges, so this should not have happened. Throat in my rifle is not rough.

BTW, I was nowhere near it when I fired these two rounds ... fired with a lanyard.

Searching for a receiver or barreled receiver ...

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Last edited by Bob S; 10-12-2013 at 05:55.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

Should have known you'd have enough sense not to endanger yourself. In digging around on the web I've found a few other folks having similar problems with the things. First shot ok, next shot, blown primer. Though they look like an interesting rifle which should make a good vintage match rifle, I don't think I'll ever get one with shooting it in mind.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

8. Default

Bob,
    Check your private messages

Mike,

Thanks. You have a PM.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Should have known you'd have enough sense not to endanger yourself. In digging around on the web I've found a few other folks having similar problems with the things. First shot ok, next shot, blown primer. Though they look like an interesting rifle which should make a good vintage match rifle, I don't think I'll ever get one with shooting it in mind.
    As I recall, one of the managers of Sarco (?) was killed shooting one a few years ago.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis