Thread: My 03A4gery

1. Default My 03A4gery

Bought this from a dealer/gunsmith on Gunbroker. Not overly happy with bolt, but can have that corrected later. In the meantime, I have both Weaver 330 and Alaskan All Weather scopes and correct top split rings. Former has crosshairs and latter has tapered post. Have purchased, but not received a Weaver K4 60b with post for early VN war look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

If you want an accurate Military configuration of the A4 use the M73B1(330) Weaver or an M84. All the TM's show those scopes. The Lyman Alaskan scope is referred to only in WW2 TM's.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 10-02-2013 at 08:12.

3. Default

I plan to keep the Weaver on it most of the time. I figure between the three scopes I can cover WWII, Korea and early Vietnam.

4. Default

There are other indications that the Alaskan was more widely used than is currently understood. The TMs are not the only source that mentions the use of Alaskans. Several people here have comented on an apparent "D-Day" vintage photo showing an A4 with an Alaskan mounted, in use in the European Theatre. And the Ordnance paperwork of the time allowed for the use of "the M73, M81 and M82 until stock exhausted" (I'm speaking from memory) during the Korean War timeframe. By Vietnam the only 1903A4 TM only mentions the M84 - but I would bet that some of the earlier scopes were already mounted on rifles "in the system", that were probably issued and used - at least to our allies, if not by us. Seldom is a world wide equipment "transition" total or smooth. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 10-02-2013 at 01:36.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    And the Ordnance paperwork of the time allowed for the use of "the M73, M81 and M82 until stock exhausted" CC
    This reference comes from ORD 8 SNL B-3 TO 11W3-5-3-64 dated 30 Oct 1956. Copies are available from nicolausassociates.com i believe it is also referenced in Brophy.

Regards,

Jim

6. Default

Thanks for the reference. I wonder if there is a repository for Ordnance records that could be accessed? Perhaps at the Springfield Armory Museum? CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Nice looking rifle.Here's a pick of mine.

Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    Thanks for the reference. I wonder if there is a repository for Ordnance records that could be accessed? Perhaps at the Springfield Armory Museum? CC
    Well the important stuff from the chief of ordnance pertaining to Remington and A4 production, at least, is mainly at the National Archives. You can search the SA collection on line for pics and some other data but given the state of the SA National Park Service Website i would not get my hopes up. In fairness they cover serial numbers and whatnot since the Armory opened but the section on WW2 contract production (especially A4's) is a disaster.

which scope shoots better at distance?