1. Default Classic Firearms Mosin Nagant PU Sniper

I just ordered one of the Classic Firearms Mosin Nagant PU Sniper rifles. I had read pros and cons on another forum about the authenticity of the guns and scopes. What has been your experience with this dealer and their products?

I have not ordered anything from them but everything that I have heard about them is all good. Good products and excellent customer service.

I can't speak specifically about Classic Firearms but the supply of 100% authentic rifles released in the great surplus dump the Rooskies did in the '90s is pretty much exhausted. The current ones come in three categories:

(1) Most rare and most expensive - A rifle straight from a Russian arsenal with a matching 'scope and mount completely refurbished and ready to be sent to some little guy fighting a "war of national liberation" somewhere.

(2) Still common and less expensive - An arsenal refurbished sniper rifle with period telescopic sight and mount, or a sight and mount produced by original manufacturers that was attached after import to the U.S.

(3) Most common and cheapest - An M91 or M91/30 rifle with the bolt modified to the turned down handle variant after import with a currently produced 'scope and/or mount that may or may not have been manufactured to mil spec in some country in the former Soviet Union. Copies of 'scopes and mounts made in places like China are always a possibility on one of these.

Price varies widely between the three and there is a LOT of fakery and false advertising with these weapons. Anyone who bought one straight from "Mother Russia" in the '90s has a good thing. Tuna says they're a reputable dealer so I would take his word for that. I would also ask a few questions and check their return policy.

If you plan on shooting your Soviet sniper rifle, zeroing these things in is a whole trick of its own. The info on how to do it is available on line. I understand it's a good idea to bring a lot of 7.62x54r 148 gr light ball ammunition (the rifle will handle any factory appropriate ammunition but the 'scope is supposed to be calibrated for light ball) to the range when sighting in and probably a substantial screwdriver.

If I've made any errors I know someone here will correct me.
    Last edited by Art; 10-02-2013 at 01:44.

Most if not all of the current influx of Mosin Nagant snipers are coming from a company in Eastern Europe called Molot.
    I believe the rifles to be genuine Soviet snipers from world war 2.
    I suggest you peruse this link http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...er-Rifle-Forum to a forum on Gunboards.
    Pay particular attention to a poster "Milpreb" he has spent considerable time and effort in squeezing the most from his 91/30 sniper rifles such that he claims acceptable accuracy out to 1000 yards.
    The operators of Gunboards have a site that goes into a fairly detailed amount of information and has been around for over a decade.
    Their original forum/website http://www.mosinnagant.net/ has a massive amount of information on Soviet/Russian military firearms.

I will share my experience with “Classic Firearms”. I purchased one of their PU Snipers in July 2013. Shipping was very fast, and thanks to UPS tracking info I was able to be waiting on my doorstep for it (C&R FFL has its privileges). It was of the second class mentioned above. Arsenal refurbished (classic cosmoline storage condition), apparently original scope (scope serial number stamped on left side of receiver, no signs of strike through or grinding), suspected change of mount (Tula made by evidence of low cut on top of mount, but EP engraving looks to new for original)?
    I have tried several different manufactures ammo, from surplus through modern manufacture. Mine appears to be partial to the modern expensive stuff. In all cases the best groupings I get are from heavier weight ammo, but the best groups come from PPU 180gr. As far as the “sighting in” goes, if you get one that is an arsenal refurbished rifle it has been sighted in prior to storage. Therefore it is a simple task to align your scope, and reset the scope zeros. Believe it or not you can remove and replace that scope after, with almost NO ZERO LOSS! If you get one of the cheaper repro type rifles, you more than likely will have to go through the whole coarse setup, then final zeroing.
    For just over $500 I am VERY HAPPY! Here are a few pictures of the markings, and a couple of my best groups (I know a real sniper can do MUCH better than I can).

Top of receiver, Tula stamp 1943, NOTE “C H” stamp above star – MOST Tula snipers have this stamp.

Left side of receiver, scope serial number stamped.

Correct scope, same year of manufacture as receiver, same serial number stamped on left side of receiver.

Mount, deep “U” cut at top typical Tula arsenal manufacture.

3” sticker, 10 rounds at 100 yards – PPU 180gr

Old enough to know better . . . BUT I DON'T CARE!
    MUST WATCH . . . Live and Learn