1. Default '03 aftermarket sight removal

hello all,

ive just aquired an '03 that has a set of redfield notch type sights on it. my question.... how the devil do i get them off? i am planing on getting the ole girl back to her old self. do i just take a hammer and start wacking? is there some trick that i need to follow? HELP!

dlc_aec@yahoo.com

thanks,
    douglas

2. Default

DlC
    I have not seen in any of Redfields advertising a reference to "Redfield Notch Type Sight" . I may be able to assist you if you would post a picture of your sight.
    Gary Bush

3. Default

Gary,

I finally got around to getting some pics made. I hope this helps. I think I am being to nice to the sight. my thoughts are to just get a pipe to fit over the barrel and go to whacking it.

thanks,
    douglas

Novel way to put a sight on a gun. It looks offset as well. I'd certainly give it a whack with a block of wood and mallet.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

It looks soldered on, try some heat.

D.

6. Default

kurt,

it only looks offset, it was centered. I was able to slide the leaf part out. I just sorta stuck it back in for the pic.

dad - when you say heat.... how much, where, how long??

my other though.... just dremel the fool thing off.

thanks all,
    douglas

Regular alloy solder will melt around 350 to 400 deg. Silver or hard solder needs around 850 deg. Solder is much softer of course than steel so it will give to tapping if you want to try that first. Once the sight is off, you would have to clean off any solder remaining on the barrel. Polish or heat and wipe.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

remove the sight...apply black tape front and aft of the ring...cut a notch length wise almost all the way through,..
    drive it off with a brass flat nosed punch and hammer..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

9. Default

all,

a bit of heat did the trick. ive got a friend at work that assisted. a little torching, a little tapping, and VIOLA - no more rear site.

thanks again for the help,
    douglas

If you preserved that sight and base in one piece, you might want to offer it for sale for the collectors and such.