Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Thanks to all who replied.

I don't think I ever said I "wanted it to be a trench gun", not would I be bent-out-of-shape because it isn't - which it isn't. I now have enough basic knowledge about military issue trench/riot guns now to know IT IS NOT a legit trench gun or riot gun!

Some on this site seemed to be totally consumed with "if it ain't a legit trench gun, it ain't sh@t", and not worth talking about.

On the other hand, as an example, there is written history that some Remington Model 10A Trench Guns morphed into "riot guns" after WWI. Unfortunately, as "bigskybound" eluded to, there is not much interest or research into what happened to WWII and post-war shotguns. Yes, many went off to law enforcement and prisons, and some on to Korea and Vietnam - but what about the whole Civil Defense thing through the late '40's and '50's?.

I'm still curious about the lack of factory Stevens/Savage markings, and possible history of "CD" markings, which was my purpose in posting on this respected site - to ask the general combat shotgun gurus (not exclusively the trench gun gurus) their opinions.

Cheers.

2. Default

The Ohio National Guard had Stevens 520-30 trench and riot guns that were new in the box.
    They were marked with a "cloisonne" CD tag. NOTHING like what you have.

3. Default

"scosgt"...

Thanks for the info. While looking for "CD" marked stuff on the internet, I've seen images/photos of the Remington Model 11 shotgun with the "cloisonné" tags - couldn't find anything else for any other shotgun.

Ref: the Ohio National Guard 520-30's, BNIB, how long ago was that? Were they lacking the usual Stevens/Savage factory engraving/stamps? I'm still intrigued over the lack of factory markings, other than the serial number.

Thanks.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtrpdw View Post
    "scosgt"...

Thanks for the info. While looking for "CD" marked stuff on the internet, I've seen images/photos of the Remington Model 11 shotgun with the "cloisonné" tags - couldn't find anything else for any other shotgun.

Ref: the Ohio National Guard 520-30's, BNIB, how long ago was that? Were they lacking the usual Stevens/Savage factory engraving/stamps? I'm still intrigued over the lack of factory markings, other than the serial number.

Thanks.
    I was offered one for sale, back probably around 1995. It was new in the box. That was at the OGCA show. A bunch of those guns, Rem 11 and Stevens 520-30, came out of ONG, probably in the 1960's or 70's.

But you need to be aware, there is no such thing as a trench gun without makers marks. There is no such thing as a US Military weapon of the 20th Century that does not have a serial number. When guns were obtained without serials in the blanket procurement program, Uncle put on serial numbers. There are a bunch of Stevens riot guns around that are like that. They ALSO have military acceptance marks.

What you have is a made up gun. There is absolutely nothing military about it.

5. Default

"scosgt"...thanks for the reply.

I don't know if you read my "Pt.1" of this thread, where I detailed info to indicate it would not be a military shotgun - which obviously it is not.

There is the factory engraved serial number, #40xx8, on the trigger guard lower tang that mates with pistol grip, and matching number on the barrel assembly where it mates with receiver.

Barrel is only stamped on left side, near receiver, with "Proof Tested - 12 Gauge - 2-3/4" Chamber" - nothing else.

Is it common for 520-30's NOT to be stamped with "Mod. 520-30" on the left side of receiver?

Thanks.

6. Default

"engraved" is not a factory serial number. They are always stamped.
    It is not a 520-30, it is a contract gun made by Stevens for someone else. It would only say 520-30 on it if it also said "Stevens".

7. Default

Sorry...meant "stamped" serial number.

Thanks for the info.