Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEN 43

There was no such thing as recycled brass for use in standard military ammunition. Blanks often were loaded with recycled brass but that's about it. The military stopped using fired brass many decades ago about the time of the adoption of smokeless powder.

For Johnny in Texas,
    Sir,
    Odd that the WWII bore cleaner did not do the job. That period bore cleaner is water based and contains petroleum emulsifiers. The water base dissolves and removes the "salt" and the emulsifiers provide protection against rusting. I have used WWII dated bore cleaner for many years and have had no problems. If I remember correctly, one should shake the can before opening as the contents seem to separate or may separate. HTH George in NH

Denver Ordnance Plant manufactured nearly 5 Billion rounds of Cal .30 (30-06) between October 1941 and July 1944. It is the most common of the WWII ammunition. At peak production, they were manufacturing 10,000,000 rounds per day.
    Last edited by raymeketa; 09-30-2013 at 10:47.

Tuna, I didn't mean reloading recycling. Some brass was made from reclaimed metals during the war. What I had heard was that the Denver stuff was made with new mineral straight out of the mine, thus few impuritys and very easy to reload. Anyway that's what I heard. But my memory is as old as me. It's really good but short.

5. Default

For George in NH I was using the dark brown stuff.

Blog Entries

I've bought two 420 round ammo cans of DEN 42 on 5 round clips in bandoleers from the cmp when it was selling it as collector ammo 10 years ago. I wish I had bought more.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I started segregating my brass and have come up with far more of the WWII stuff than I originally thought I had. So far I have SL, UT, DM, EW and DEN head stamps, all 42 and 43.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.