Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEN 43

Default DEN 43

I just picked up one of those kitchen sized trash cans that was 3/4 full of 30-06 brass almost all of it head stamped WRA 54 or RA 57. Occasionally I'll come across a case that is head stamped DEN over 43.

Who's head stamp was this?

Thanks as always.

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

As soon as I posted I saw the headstamp ID site.

Denver Ordinance Plant, Colorado.

Thanks, guys.
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

It is corrosive primered-so if you reload it you need to wash it

Quote Originally Posted by Litt'le Lee View Post
    It is corrosive primered-so if you reload it you need to wash it
    this is old empty brass that I've tumbled. Once the old primer is knocked out still need to wash it?

I would. Better safe than corroded.
    "In God We Trust"

Glad we had this conversation! never woulda thought of it. How bout the Remington and Winchester cases from the early 50's?

The Winchester and Remington brass were loaded with non corrosive primers. The DEN brass was loaded with corrosive primers so you do need to wash the brass out to remove any of the chloride salts that may be left in the brass. Once done your good to go using it.

8. Default

I would wash it DEN 43 is very corrosive if there is such a thing I shot some in an 03A3 years ago and cleaned it with USGI WW2 bore cleaner twice and it started to rust in two days when I cleaned it the third time the patch was orange
    Water and windex is the best thing to use as is it washes the salt out of the copper fouling

Johnny, thanks for the heads up. Out of thousands of cases I've only spotted a couple of DEN cases. They are intersting to me since they were around for WW!!.

I'll separate all that brass prior to using and set aside and wash the DEN brass.

Regards and thanks to all,

Mark

I'd heard years ago that some of the Denver brass was the best for reloading. It was supposedly "virgin" brass vs. recycled. I don't remember if it was 42 or 43. I still have a fair quantity that the boys shoot in their rifles for fun.