Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default which scope would be the best choice for A4?

I have 2 scope's-want one for my A4.my A4 is first block serial #34211XX. Scope 5333 has cross hair. Allweather scope is post with lateral cross hair. Caps have drawing #'s. Let me know what would be best for my A4..thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by razors edge; 09-24-2013 at 10:46.

2. Default

Hard to beat what you have got! Unless you want to use a more modern scope - like a Weaver K 2.5 - 60, allowing 1" Rings - but I'm not sure you would gain anything over the Alaskan! CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Of the two which one would be "more" respectable?

do you already own these, what are you going to do with the rifle, shoot it in the cmp sniper competition? or make a wall hanger
    which one has the best optics, i shoot a lyman alaskan on mine and it has shot a clean at 600, so the alaskan can do the job

5. Default

A Lyman Alaskan with drawing numbers on the caps is very desirable for use on a real A4 since it is a USGI scope. I personally much prefer the fine crosshair reticle for target shooting. I guess it boils down to what you want - a good target rifle or a more technically correct rifle.

lonewoolf Guest

The "correct" scope for your rifle would be the Weaver 330C, with the etching on the side. Mr. Gaynor may give a more detailed answer

Thanks. .I do plan yo do cmp matches. I have the m731b scope but needs work. Any one out there restore them ?

8. Default

Ironsightinc does the Weaver 330
    the Alaskan 5333 scope based on my observations I believe is post WWII,the war time Alaskans all had the early style s/n

Quote Originally Posted by razors edge View Post
    Of the two which one would be "more" respectable?
    Of the two scopes the one with the plain cross wire reticle would be most like the M73 (Commercial Lyman Alaskan) or the M81 (Lyman Alaskan w/ eyeshade and sunshade).

10. Default

Jim, Why would you say that the crosshair reticle scope would be more like the M73? I've seen M73's with both reticles and since the post and crosshair scope has drawing numbered caps, I'd highly suspect that it is a genuine (but unmarked) M73. Granted, the majority of USGI M73's had fine crosshair reticles. Rick