Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Japanese training rifle

A few years back I bought a type 38 "Naval training rifle". I've been trying to get it working and noticed that it may be missing some bolt parts.

Here is a picture of the bolt...

traningrifle bol&#1.jpg

Here is the whole rifle...

Seems like a spring and possible a few other items may be missing.

Anyone familiar with this bolt?

Thanks
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:23.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

You need a spring or it just won't work. Looks like that is all that is missing. Instead of spending $10-$40 for an original spring just rummage through some junk or spares until you find a spring that will fit in the firing pin recess. May have to cut to length or stack a couple of shorter springs. Not like you will be shooting this thing though.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Oh, and if you really can't find something, let me know, I have allot of junk and can work something for you.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

4. Default

Thanks, Guamsst

Are the bolts for the training rifles mechanically the same as the regular Type 38 bolts?

Is there much of a market for these smoothbore training rifles?
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-23-2013 at 03:53.

Tough questions. Sometimes the bolts are identical, but I doubt they have proper heat treating. Usually the quality is pretty low since they were never meant to fire live ammo.

As to the market, Yes, there is a market. That market is fairly small and is made up mostly of serious collectors and those who like wall hangers.

I am trying to buy up training rifles when I get them because you can still pick them up for between $100 and $200 when you can find them.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 09-23-2013 at 06:01.

6. Default

Thanks, Guamsst

Are these training rifles "firearms" under the law, requiring shipment to an FFL holder?

Those training rifles were only intended to fire blanks. The receiver is pot metal

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Thanks, Guamsst

Are these training rifles "firearms" under the law, requiring shipment to an FFL holder?
    Depends who you ask. Some folks will say yes, some will say no. My take on it is that they are not an actual firearm anymore than a Daisy BB gun. HOWEVER, it looks like a gun, acts like a gun and you can put a bullet in it. How much time do you want to spend in court explaining how wrong the ATF was?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    Depends who you ask. Some folks will say yes, some will say no. My take on it is that they are not an actual firearm anymore than a Daisy BB gun. HOWEVER, it looks like a gun, acts like a gun and you can put a bullet in it. How much time do you want to spend in court explaining how wrong the ATF was?
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Good point.
    I've seen people selling 1891Nagants online as no FFL required even though they clearly state and show photos of a 1942 date receiver......pretty easy way to get in hot water over a silly law.