Thread: New Trapdoor

1. Default New Trapdoor

New to the trapdoor world and have a few questions and I am sure I will have more.

My serial range is in the 315,XXX area. The breech block is dated 1884. Is that the correct date that should be on the breech assembly? From my limited research that serial number makes it manufactured around 1886. Correct?

I also need a rear sight. Would it be the buffington type I need? And if you have one for sale that would be great. Will any other sights work on it? I thought maybe I read Krag or 03 sights might work..Thanks and I am sure I will have more questions as I progress further..

Welcome!

Your block MAY have been replaced - the old stockpile, which was dated 1873, was used - to some degree - in new production as late as 1887. There was NO physical difference in the block, so SA did not care, and did not want to waste perfectly good parts. Either one could be "correct".

I'd think your rifle was probably made in late 1885. My 318991 has an 1885 (AND an 1887, but that is another story) inspection stamp, and is known to be original to the gun.

Yes, you want the long, flat, Buffington sight. Krag and '03 sights will not work.

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

Thanks to you both..