Default I Bubba'ed a Swede 94

This is going to be a long story.
    I love Swede mausers. The first rifle I bought on my own was a Swedish mod. 96. I picked it up at an estate sale in a "you store it" locker(pre storage wars). I should have bought everything there. I just liked the look of it and had to go to a sporting goods store to find out what the caliber was. Here's and interesting tidbit; It was $20 for twenty rds back in 1980. I walked out of there and some how found some Privi ammo for the(fairly expensive in those days)price of .47/rd(maybe it was .37,it seemed high at the time). The rifle cost me $80 and every number matched. I took it out to a canyon and started putting bullets into a little hole up on a cliff while standing. It shot like I remembered my .22 would shoot. I was sold. Anyway, I've owned a lot of Swede's over the years.
    I happened to see this sporterized 94 on GB. Most of them are sporterized. The Bubba'ed rework isn't an improvement in most cases. The numbers matched so I bid and won for about $350. 'now an unmolested '94 might go for 7 hundred bucks. A front shroud is $200, a 94 stock is expensive too.
    Here's what I did: I got some instructions from someone who did the same thing. I had to find a 96 stock to cut down.
    I went up to J & G sales in Prescott and found a long stock that matched the handguard and went from there. I had my very competent gunsmith take the horrible extention off the end of the barrel. Here is the pictorial result.

It's a little Bubba'ed, I made some mistakes but I smoothed up most of them. When you start carving down for the band springs your into paper thin wood because of the cleaning rod hole. I took this out last weekend and it out shot three other rifles, a scoped, sporterized M 17 and one of my accurate garands.
    That made me happy. ser. 63287 man. 1915
    Last edited by dryheat; 09-21-2013 at 05:05.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

2. Default

Better to bubba a swede than to bunghole a greek m1 that is
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 09-24-2013 at 06:45.

I've bungholed (improved) a few Greek M1 stocks. It's like Michelangelo said,"carve away everything that doesn't look like an M1 stock".

Believe it or not, this stock turned out pretty well as I recall with only a couple of tiny reminders of where I screwed up.
    Last edited by dryheat; 09-24-2013 at 12:09.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.