Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think this subject is a safety issue as it only takes one instance of calamity to turn the minds of others. Too bad for the guy that it happens too! I'd hate to be the person that said it's OK to do it and then everything goes south. Maybe we don't hear of accidents because the people are dead or in a hospital in an iron lung! Another point, if you encounter a round that lit off while tumbling, would you admit to it? I didn't think so!
    There is interior deteriorization, or corrosion that can take place on old military rounds due to storage issues, that's a fact when you look at some of the Greek 30/06 ammo the CMP was selling. Poorly stored ammo is a liability in my opinion.
    It doesn't really matter to me if you tumble live ammo, just do it alone and away from your kids and others.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

2. Default

This thread has both credible expert opinions cited, and significant actual exprience of life long shooters reflected.

You CAN dry tumble live ammo safely in media such as corn cob or walnut, with no risk under normal conditions, in a reasonable timeframe required to clean and shine the metal.

Thats about all there is to say. Sorry if your opinion differs, but the proof is overwhelming on this one.

And one more thing. Most of us have vibrating cleans and not the older tumblers and there is a difference between them.

4. Default

I have vibrated thousands of .223 and 7.62 loaded ammo and never had any problems. The ammo was Isreali surplus that looked like it came off the battlefield tarnished dirty. I ran it overnight and shot it full auto and semi with great results only the badly dented ammo had feed problems.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 09-27-2013 at 03:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefights View Post
    This thread has both credible expert opinions cited, and significant actual exprience of life long shooters reflected.

You CAN dry tumble live ammo safely in media such as corn cob or walnut, with no risk under normal conditions, in a reasonable timeframe required to clean and shine the metal.

Thats about all there is to say. Sorry if your opinion differs, but the proof is overwhelming on this one.
    Hefights:
    If you ask the people that make and sell gun powder, specifically Hodgdon you will find out they do not endorse tumbling live ammo. They consider tumbling live ammo as a negative operation not a positive one which could result in powder breakdown. I called them on Friday of last week.
    I will stick to their recommendation on the handling of their powder and products as they know far more than the experts that are on the gun forums.
    As far as me personally, you didn't show me any proof that tumbling live ammo is a safe and practical operation for cleaning live ammo. Just because someone or thousands do it, doesn't mean it's right. However, if you wish to call Hodgdon for confirmation of what I said, you are more than welcome. I have no argument with you on the subject, and I don't believe it's opinion that is important, it's the safety issue!
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anthony View Post
    Hefights:
    If you ask the people that make and sell gun powder, specifically Hodgdon you will find out they do not endorse tumbling live ammo. They consider tumbling live ammo as a negative operation not a positive one which could result in powder breakdown. I called them on Friday of last week.
    I will stick to their recommendation on the handling of their powder and products as they know far more than the experts that are on the gun forums.
    As far as me personally, you didn't show me any proof that tumbling live ammo is a safe and practical operation for cleaning live ammo. Just because someone or thousands do it, doesn't mean it's right. However, if you wish to call Hodgdon for confirmation of what I said, you are more than welcome. I have no argument with you on the subject, and I don't believe it's opinion that is important, it's the safety issue!
    Matt
    It looks like the Hodgdon scientists should get their story straight.

Logic alone isn’t enough when it comes to harnessing propellant gases mere inches from a shooter’s face, so we asked experts at two of the World’s leading powder and ammunition makers. I spoke to the Chief Ballistic Scientist at Hornady Manufacturing and the Head Ballistician at Hodgdon Powder and asked for their professional opinions. Both agreed that this is a myth devoid of empirical data.
    "Powder is hard, it doesn’t change shape from any reasonable amount of vibration,” said Hornady’s Dave Emary. “This notion that you can wear deterrent off of the surface of the powder is a myth, it is impregnated into the powder grains. You can’t knock this stuff off."
    Both scientists felt that tumbling was a safe practice within the bounds of reason.
    http://www.americanhunter.org/blog.php?id=21301&cat=56
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Ok, no reason to continue, you are right and thats the end of it!

I know this may be a stupid question to ask... but doesn't ammo get bounced/vibrated/jiggled/tossed around during handling and transport... especially when traveling cross country in a military vehicle such as a tank or personnel carrier? It sure doesn't seem to affect the ammo adversely, because if it did, we'd be screwed on the battlefield.

I don't tumble or vibrate my rounds, but as I said before, I do spin it with my drill while I polish my cases. Seems to me that the spinning would damage the powder the same as vibrating it... and I've never had a problem with my ammo. For whatever it's worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    I'd shoot them tarnished then tumble the brass.
    +1...Don't cross the bridge until you have to!

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    I know this may be a stupid question to ask... but doesn't ammo get bounced/vibrated/jiggled/tossed around during handling and transport... especially when traveling cross country in a military vehicle such as a tank or personnel carrier? It sure doesn't seem to affect the ammo adversely, because if it did, we'd be screwed on the battlefield.

I don't tumble or vibrate my rounds, but as I said before, I do spin it with my drill while I polish my cases. Seems to me that the spinning would damage the powder the same as vibrating it... and I've never had a problem with my ammo. For whatever it's worth!
    Yep, you are absolutely correct, that's something I posted before, but using a vibratory cleaner is not the same as being jostled in a military vehicle. The pulse or frequency is constant only being changed momentrailly when the ammo gets to the top of the mountain of corn cob and decends downward then changes direction again and again and again. Does it matter, according to all of the experts here on CSP and other forums, no! So, if one were to use this forum only to determine if one should tumble or vibrate live ammo, then it's perfectly OK.
    I've been convinced that it's OK for anyone to do this operation. I am so glad this has finally been put to rest!
    Matt