Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What a great photograph Jgaynor. I am a big fan of the American M3 and that is the first photograph I have seen of an M3 worn behind a .45. I can only imagine how those two men felt meeting up so far from home. Thanks for posting.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

I carried a George L Herter or "Canadian" knife in RVN and Cambodia in 1970. It served me well but the leather sheath took a beating as all I had to waterproof it with was LSA.

I think you made a great choice back then. It does happen to be one of my favorite designs. For a fixed blade knife I think it's just pure elegant.

My old Herter's today lives in my kitchen butcher block where it gets called to duty regularly. In the past it's cleaned it's share of deer. The other two have followed me home over the years.

I seem to have acquired a similar collection: EdgeMark Yukon Hunter (from my brother), G L Herter's (from my Dad), A G Russell (mine). All utilitarian knives.

I recommend bee's wax for your leather sheath.

5. Default

Yes I carried a knife in combat. It is a KABAR marked USMC on the right side of the blade and KABAR, and Olean N.Y. on the left side. It is in a plastic sheath marked USN, MK 5. I picked it while serving in the USN during WWII. (Long story that I have told elsewhere). I flew low-level night-attack in Korea in B-26’s with the USAF. We were equipped with personnel equipment left over from WWII which was not in the best of condition. We wore back pack parachutes and a seat pack of an inflatable dingy. Occasionally one of these dingy would just accidentally inflate and an inflated dingy would fill up the cockpit of a B-26 in a hurry. When riding right seat I always carried this KABAR in my right boot so that if either my dingy or the pilots dingy inflated-I could reach the knife and stab the dingy.

6. Default

K bar, Nam '68-69

I carried a "K" bar total time in USMC, If I had web gear on I had a "K" bar on, still have it, carried it in RVN, and "other places"
    USMC 26 DEC 1963 TO 17 FEB 1989

In the Rhodesian Army in 1974-75 I was issued a Gerber MkII S/N 019525, no whetstone on the brown leather scabbard and the fine sawteeth.Still have it too !

John R.
    Last edited by John R.; 01-15-2014 at 12:20.

From 1970-79 I carried a variety of knives. Anywhere from a Buck 110, Gerber MK2, Case 337, 6" Q, Bowie knife, M1910 Repro. Finally settled on a Camillus MK2 in 1974, carried one the next 17 years. SKIP

K-Bar RVN
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!