1. Default Remington '03 target setup value?

I have come across a mixed part '03 I have a mild interest in. Receiver is 3.01 million range with an SA 42 barrel, Lyman 48, and a pre-war contour "C" type stock stamped on the pistol grip with non military stamps and 1931 date. Handguard looks to be straight, not a convex WWII replacement.

If you all came across a service rifle turned NRA match rifle, D&T'd etc., what would the range of values be do you think? I think I would find this one quite shootable, and these guns ain't getting any cheaper!

Thanks,

Cullen Parker

2. Default

Since it would be a shooter I would want to know how well it shoots. Why NRA match rifle? It sounds like S.A. national match configuration. I'm sure plenty would pay 600 + not me i'm still in the 90's 350-400

3. Default

With a 3.1 mil receivrr of Remnington manufacture, it would not have been a Springfield National Match. Probably a post war 'built' match rifle. It was quite common in the ays folowing WWII to see these rifles on the firing line.
    FWIW

4. Default

CMP has an unlimited class for match prepped M1s, it gives a chance to get these old rifles out of the closet. It'd be neat if they'd do the same for Springfield matches, give a class to rifles like these and let them see the line again. If the class existed, I'd be interested in a rifle like this one. My Dad put one of these together when I was a kid out of a $15 NRA 03-A3 and he shot highpower for years with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    CMP has an unlimited class for match prepped M1s, it gives a chance to get these old rifles out of the closet. It'd be neat if they'd do the same for Springfield matches, give a class to rifles like these and let them see the line again. If the class existed, I'd be interested in a rifle like this one. My Dad put one of these together when I was a kid out of a $15 NRA 03-A3 and he shot highpower for years with it.
    My dad also used his Remington '03 "home-made match rifle" for years in the mid-to-late 50's. (More than a few junior shooters at the club used it also!)

Dun'no how many rounds went through the barrel (remember the old "nickel-a-round"?), but when I inherited it, I rebarreled and STILL use it from time-to-time! --Jim
    Last edited by JimF; 09-17-2013 at 02:32.

We used to call them "club match" rifles. Where that name came from, I have no idea, but it described a converted surplus 03 or A3, with attention paid to bedding, sight upgrades, trigger improvements and so on. Interesting, yes, but that doesn't add any particular value unless it could definitively be tied to some person or event of note. Bottom line is that it'd be tough to consider one for more than the sum of the parts' value.