Default HELP with an Israeli 98k

I have a really nice Israeli converted 98k in 7.62mm, CE 44, but the Israeli stock on it was not in the best of shape. I located a new stock on this site that had no finish and I want to restore it to look original. The stock is beech and I'm not certain what the Israelis applied to their stocks, but I'm thinking it was not linseed oil. The old stock, and others I have seen, seem to have an oil based finish that is somewhat "built up" on the stock instead of having been absorbed by the wood. I'm trying to achieve the rich, golden look of original stocks and I know the beech wood contributes to that appearance but clearly the finish applied to it does also. I'm attaching a photo of a rifle I saw on the internet as an example of what I want the finished stock to look like. Can anyone help? Thanks!

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

You could try Tung Oil. I have used Formby's semi-gloss on some stocks. Put it on with a cleaning patch, and let it dry over night. You can dull it down with a light rubbing of 0000 steel wool after it dries, if you want.

Good luck!
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Thanks for the info. I'm a linseed oil guy and have never used Tung oil. Does it tend to develop the golden color as on the Israeli beech stock in the photo I posted?

4. Default

Linseed oil. Use marine grade. It will go into the wood, ordinary oil will stay on the surface. You will get colour

If you apply enough BLO to a stock it will build up to a point where it almost looks varnished, quite shiny or 'semi-gloss'. It will no longer soak into the wood. The grain has to be filled and many coats applied over a time, period between coats should get longer over time.
    I tried Tung oil once, seemed to always feel tacky, still have a quart of it.
    You can never go home again.

I have used this stuff with excellent results in the past.
    https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/o...ung-chinawood/
    Unlike raw linseed oil, PTO will dry. It also has a golden hue to it.

Raw LO will dry but it takes forever. I imagine the same goes for Tung Oil.
    You can never go home again.