Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Rock Island armory Model 1907

I am reaching out to you folks for some info on this rifle I received recently from a deceased family members estate. It is marked as a rock island armory model 1907. Serial number 255427. All I know aout this rifle is that it was my grandfathers Deep rifle pre WWII. Does this model 1907 have the same heat treating defect as the 1903's?

Thanks,

Nibs

Last edited by nibstools; 09-15-2013 at 06:33.

2. Default

OK so after closer inspection the model is 1903 not 1907. Guess this is one of the "bad ones"?

It has a case-hardened receiver and dates to 1917.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

Does that mean it should be safe to shoot? (if otherwise in good condition?)

5. Default

I was also curious about the Stock on this one. Most examples I have seen has wood much further out the barrel and also on top of the barrel.

Yes it is a low-numbered receiver and may have brittleness issues. This is a very "divisive" issue, though.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Your rifle no longer has its original military stock, and many other parts have been removed as well. It has been sporterized; in other words, turned into a hunting rifle. This was a common practice especially in the 1960's, when surplus military rifles were cheap and there was little collector interest in them. Had your rifle been left in issue condition it would be worth at least $500. It is a "low number" (Rock Island cut off is 286,506) and many would advise that it not be fired at all, others would disagree. If it were restored to military issue condition it would not be legal to fire in CMP matches because of their safety rules.

Personally I think it would make a great memento of your late relative. Any hunting photos to go with it?
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-15-2013 at 07:30.

8. Default

thanks for the info. Not to worried about the value. To my knowledge there are no old pictures.

Which parts of these rifles were considered dangerous? I know this one has been fire hundreds of times over the many decades it has been in my family. By my grandfather, father, uncle and cousins. But I guess I should just assume its unsafe?

Mainly the receiver; some of them were "burnt" during forging and became very hard but very brittle. If something happened like a case separation they could shatter. The chances are probably pretty small, but still present.
    --C.S. Lewis

As has often been pointed out, the U.S. military fought World War One with low numbered Springfields, the problem is a potentially brittle receiver, which cannot be replaced economically as it is the most expensive part. For many years, NRA members could send in low numbered M1903 receivers for no cost exchange (this program ended in the early 60's.) Clearly very few of these rifles actually blew up in U.S. military service, and people on this forum regularly go round and round over this issue. Some people won't shoot them at all, some shoot them with lower powered handloads, others shoot them with modern ammunition. I have always avoided owning one, personally, since I am more of a shooter than a pure collector. If I were a serious collector I would try to own as many early rifles as I could, but would not fire them. That is just my opinion. Stand by, others will surely weigh in.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-15-2013 at 08:15.